Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lousy traction in snow

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 02:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lousy traction in snow

One year ownership anniversary for my '03 disco and experienced my 1st full Boston winter in my disco with new tires (lived in Boston though for well over 25 years). Gotta admit, I'm not too impressed with the Landy, but maybe my fault with the tires I have on?

After purchasing my '03 disco, I needed new tires (18") and I was torn between Cooper Discovery and Nokian WRG2. I ended up getting the Cooper tires. I run them at about 40 psi on all four tires. My '07 Mitsubishi Outlander seems to get better traction in snow than the Disco - but I am running Nokian Wrg2s on it.

So what are the specific issues? The Disco just doesn't seem to get the traction I need when driving in snow....no off-roading stuff, just everyday taking the kids to school driving. Not that I was expecting tank tread or caterpillar track traction, but I was hoping for overall greater stability, control, and simply not being able to slip as much in snow. Candidly, the traction control light illuminates quite regularly when accelerating from a red light or taking a turn just a little above the speed limit when the roads get a little snowy or slushy. And forget about braking....the DISCO brakes pulsate, vibrate and shimmy so much to try and stop the 4,800 pound behemoth.

As the old saying goes... "it rarely is the computers fault, but the person operating the computer." That said, what am I doing wrong? Too much PSI in my tires for winter driving? Lousy tires?

Finally, I just want to make my self clear on this one point.....I LOVE MY DISCO and I'm not throwing rocks at it. So no need to bash me and tell me to climb under the rock from whence I came. Cool? I just think I'm doing something wrong and need feedback or possible remedies to improve traction. Most importantly, I got precious cargo I'm haulin'...my two young kids. So wanna make sure we are all safe in the disco. Thanks.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:23 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

You need to put snow tires on it.
With studs.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:28 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I'll sell you my 265/75r16s great condition studded snow tires! You would just need 16" wheels at $50 a piece including shipping. I'd sell you them for $350 for the set of 4

Because yes, it is the fault of your tires, the Rover is not the issue!

Old 02-06-2014, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Z, did you just reference $50 shipped 16" rims? where?

Old 02-06-2014, 02:56 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Marty Powell( drillbit)

ichopimports@yahoo.com

Old 02-06-2014, 02:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have Cooper discoverer plus on my D2 and live in minny.

Traction has been fine for me.

Also, not to be Mr. mom, but taking turns over the speed limit on a snow covered road isn't too bright.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:52 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're cornering above the speed limit in snow? It sounds like it's your expectations that are too high. No vehicle / tire combination will let you drive in snow without taking the conditions into account.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:58 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Sounds like something is fishy with the ABS or brakes as well...

Might not be a bad idea to verify the bulbs are good in the ABS warning lights. You could have the 3 amigos and not know it. Sellers have been known do black out certain warning lights pre-sale.

I'm on my 4th winter with the Michelin M/S's and still do not have the issues you describe... Something isn't right weather it be tires or ABS/brakes.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have Nitto Terra Grapplers on my D2, and have been out driving in several snowstorms we have had in the Philly area, and can't get stuck even if I try. I havent even had to shift into low. Traction is not a problem under acceleration, but braking and turning 5000lb vehicle is always going to be dicey in slippery conditions.....

Old 02-06-2014, 05:25 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

For starters, 40psi on all 4 corners is way too high for traction in snow. You should be running a lower pressure not higher. Normal pressures are for mine (TD5) 1.9 bar fronts and 2.6 bar rears (1 bar = 15psi just under - approx) Therefore if it were me I'd run the fronts at 25 psi and rears at 35 psi. I'm assuming you are running standard sized tires.

When you say 'traction' I am assuming you mean forward movement not cornering and braking as a 4x4 rarely has better cornering or braking than any other car in snow and ice but achieves better acceleration.

If you are in serious compacted snow or ice the only real option is studded snow/ice tires but they won't last very long at all if you run them on tarmac without snow or ice.

Quick Reply: lousy traction in snow