Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lousy traction in snow

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 04:30 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To ZSKI 128....I have the CTS tire

Old 02-07-2014, 05:13 AM
Rock Crawling

Also ran some Perelli Scorpians on my 2000 Ford Excursion, V-10....peaking the weight scale at nearly 9k pounds. Those were good tires. Sadly, rust got to the Goliath before anything else. Sold her last February. V-10 Triton engine was as solid as when it first rolled off the assembly line.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:19 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

A quick google search will shed some light on Cooper tires. I will never buy Cooper. If I did not know better I would have thought they were re-treads the way they blow up and the tread comes apart. See pictures in link:

Top 72 Complaints and Reviews about Cooper Tires

Old 02-07-2014, 05:38 AM
Rock Crawling

Triar:

Wish I knew about this earlier.....like a year ago. No one's fault but mine for not doing my due diligence. After taking a peek at the link you posted and read the third or fourth posting complaining about Cooper tires leaking, this is precisely the issue I have with two of my tires, both on the passenger side. About once a month and sometimes more frequently. I need to pump in between 10 to 15 pounds of air. Been meaning to take the disco back to NH where I bought the tires and have them investigate why it is that I consistently leak air only on those two tires.

bummer

Old 02-07-2014, 05:54 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
A quick google search will shed some light on Cooper tires. I will never buy Cooper. If I did not know better I would have thought they were re-treads the way they blow up and the tread comes apart. See pictures in link:

Top 72 Complaints and Reviews about Cooper Tires
In the UK Cooper 4x4 tires have always been seen as the poor mans mud plugging option for offroading and not highway use. They may have moved on since then but their reputation follows them. Years ago Cooper 4x4 tires were remoulds even retreads possibly.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:09 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

I was just curious what your cooper tires looked like, was not even looking for reviews or anything. That link popped up on the first page of results so it must be significant.... If it makes you feel better I do have ****ty tires on my D2. Hankook highway tires and they suck in the snow. I actually went off the dam road today and got stuck in a ditich. Had to get towed out of the ditch..... So Im in the same boat. Need good tires that can handle winter weather. I think Ill be going with General Grabber AT2 tires. Reviews I read were all very good. People said they last a resonable amount of time, said they are quiter and supposedly handle snow well so I will give them a try when I have the money. They are also more affordable than BFG tires.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:49 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gbob
So, sounds like I need studded tires OR, lower my PSI on my Cooper tires.
Never needed studded tires here in the Boston area for 25 years, and for the most part, ran with either Nokians or Nittos for a variety of cars/SUVs I have owned during this time. So I'll lower my PSI, run these tires 'till no tread left and if my Disco doesn't explode, I'll get some Nokians or conduct a little more gum shoe work to see what all purpose tires might suit me best.

As for my Mario Andrettri cornering....let me clairify. Posted speed limit on the on and off ramps are very conservative. So, I might go maybe 5 MPH over the speed limit. So, I can't imagine that this 5 MPH can really make an impact on traction. But then again, nothing will give you traction on black ice, unless you have chains on your tires. Besides, with two young kids, I'm not that stupid to do such dangerous tactics. Also, if exceeding the speed limit both in the city or highway driving, I rarely go over 10 MPH - and usually just to pass some jerk texting or eating a Mc'ds big mac with fries and a frap...rather keep these a***holes in my rear view mirror.

Cooper tires last summer in rainy weather were just ok...some minor hydroplaning, but again, I am running 40 PSI on all four tires. And FWIW, I posted a thread about 8 months ago asking what is the best PSI to run. Why? I got three different recommendations: 1. Dealer. 2. Owner's manual. 3. Side door panel. The informal straw pool I got from the readers on this forum was to run at about 40 psi on all four tires.

I'll investigate the ghost 3 amigos and traction control stuff.
If you are traveling over the speed limit in snow and hydroplaning in rainy weather I'd say 110% of your problem is driver stupidity.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:09 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've always thought that the more tire pressure the better in snow, more tire pressure should lead to a smaller tire contact area allowing for more pounds per square inch pressure on the road which means better traction, hence the reason you see folks with sand bags ect in the bed of their trucks in the winter...in my experience the narrower the tire the better the traction in snow..the opposite holds true for sand, where you want to float on top rather than dig down..but maybe modern tire technology has rendered my assumptions wrong