Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Love the new Discovery... some minor problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 01:42 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Love the new Discovery... some minor problems

If you remember me from a couple weeks ago, I just purcahsed a 00 Disco II (27.5k on the clock) and I'm noticed some small things. At no speed or very low speed I hear a groin when steering. This usually happens when I back out of my driveway and turn to go down the road. The other problem is periodically I have my ABS, TC and Descent lights all go on with a beep... like my ABS goes dead. I can shut off the car and turn it back on and the lights do not come back.

In reading previous posts, it sounds like this may be the ABS module going bad... there was no resolution to the previious case so I thought I would see if any of you have seen this. It also looks quite pricey to fix, but it should be covered as my Disco is LR certified (with an additional two year warantee on top of the one year that comes with the cert. My dealer is an hour away, so if this is something I could fix easily in my garage (I'm pretty mechanically inclined) I'd rather do that.

Either way, I'd welcome your thoughts...

Old 03-30-2005, 05:43 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Love the new Discovery... some minor problems

ORIGINAL: dma3

If you remember me from a couple weeks ago, I just purcahsed a 00 Disco II (27.5k on the clock) and I'm noticed some small things. At no speed or very low speed I hear a groin when steering. This usually happens when I back out of my driveway and turn to go down the road. The other problem is periodically I have my ABS, TC and Descent lights all go on with a beep... like my ABS goes dead. I can shut off the car and turn it back on and the lights do not come back.

In reading previous posts, it sounds like this may be the ABS module going bad... there was no resolution to the previious case so I thought I would see if any of you have seen this. It also looks quite pricey to fix, but it should be covered as my Disco is LR certified (with an additional two year warantee on top of the one year that comes with the cert. My dealer is an hour away, so if this is something I could fix easily in my garage (I'm pretty mechanically inclined) I'd rather do that.

Either way, I'd welcome your thoughts...
I've only owned my 2003 Discovery for 3 months and I'm new to the forum. I don't have an answer for you, but I have a very similar problem. My ABS, TC and Descent lights all came on (with a beep) and now they stay on. (This happened the first time I applied the brakes after leaving a carwash, while brakes were wet)

I was hoping I just "fooled" some kind of sensor, however, turning the vehicle on and off does not help. Like you, I'm an hour from the dealer and don't want to travel over there if this is something I can easily reset??

I look forward to thoughts on this issues as well...

Old 03-30-2005, 06:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey i have a 98 disco. My abs light stays on until i reach about 5 mph. About a month ago it stayed on the whole time driving. even after i shut it off and turned it back on. I un hooked my battery ground for about 30 minutes and it was fixed. I had to enter the radio security code so make sure you know it first.

Old 03-30-2005, 06:30 PM
3rd Gear

I'll try disconnecting the battery (after I get the radio code) I can only hope it's that easy.

Thanks

Old 03-31-2005, 02:37 AM
Winching

I un hooked my battery ground for about 30 minutes and it was fixed.
Nice try, but this will not fix anything. If your lights are coming on this indicates A fault in the system. You need to get A competent shop or Dealer to investigate.

Old 03-31-2005, 01:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle

ORIGINAL: Bait

I un hooked my battery ground for about 30 minutes and it was fixed.
Nice try, but this will not fix anything. If your lights are coming on this indicates A fault in the system. You need to get A competent shop or Dealer to investigate.
Yea but it could just be a fantom code, try to clear if it comes back on you have a prob. I have had 2 fantom codes so far. oh yea they were 2 differnt codes. 1 check engine and one abs.

Old 03-31-2005, 05:19 PM
Mudding

For the ABS system, one of the most common (and recurring) problems is the the air gap being too large on one of the sensors. Check to see that the sensors are properly seated in the bushing, and (gently) tap them down if they are not. You shouldn't be able to "overdo" it, as the sensors will be pushed out to a correct distance when you start in motion. If you still have an ABS warning after this, you probably have an actual issue.

Old 04-01-2005, 01:34 AM
4wd Low

ahhh, the joys of disco ownership...

as a new owner, i await the misc. bull**** that will occur.

Old 04-01-2005, 02:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle

funny, it is always something differnt. lol.

Old 04-01-2005, 04:47 PM
Mudding

I am keeping my fingers crossed on my discovery. So far, so good.

Quick Reply: Love the new Discovery... some minor problems