Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low coolant level expansion tank - used 2004

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 10:30 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Low coolant level expansion tank - used 2004

Hi guys, I am about to purchase a 2004 discovery II for a good price... The truck is really clean, and carfax has a ton of really good maintenance records throughout the car life.

That being said... When I took a look at the truck I noticed the coolant level in the expansion tank is well below the "cold level line" and was wondering if it's something I should be concerned about. On my own disco, I keep it at the top of the line and it doesn't drop. But I know nothing about this used truck, could this be just someone didn't fill it all the way?

Any tips would be much appreciated. Like I said, maintenance history accounted for - super clean engine bay.

Thanks!

Old 01-22-2018, 10:34 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Top it off and key an eye on things

Old 01-22-2018, 12:22 PM
Winching
Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

You don;t give us any info about the car: mileage, work done, and so on.
It could be one of a bunch of things:
1) Did not bleed system properly
2) head gasket
3) Water pump
4) Just forgot.
I think you have to ask yourself if you have all the records, why would someone who makes all that effort let the coolant level go down? Could also be that mechanic used customer to fund braces for their kids, vacation, swimming pool, tuition, etc.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:38 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Any tips would be much appreciated. Like I said, maintenance history accounted for - super clean engine bay.
Basically same situation when looking at my D2. Worse than that the damn oil was almost 3 qts. low. Found no signs of bad HGs and purchased. Kept an extremely close eye on the coolant level, first found the coolant reservoir cap was venting and needed replacement, then once cap replaced found the reservoir leaking as well.

Could be nothing or doom & gloom. Used LRs don't have exclusive rights to cratering.

Last edited by number9; 01-22-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:50 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by matt3502
You don;t give us any info about the car: mileage, work done, and so on.
It could be one of a bunch of things:
1) Did not bleed system properly
2) head gasket
3) Water pump
4) Just forgot.
I think you have to ask yourself if you have all the records, why would someone who makes all that effort let the coolant level go down? Could also be that mechanic used customer to fund braces for their kids, vacation, swimming pool, tuition, etc.
I bought the car, looks like there is some jenky JB welding going on in and around some of the radiator hoses. Looks like coolant drips out a bit when I played with it. I'll start there.

92,000 miles

Old 01-22-2018, 08:10 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by samroy92
Hi guys, I am about to purchase a 2004 discovery II for a good price... The truck is really clean, and carfax has a ton of really good maintenance records throughout the car life.

That being said... When I took a look at the truck I noticed the coolant level in the expansion tank is well below the "cold level line" and was wondering if it's something I should be concerned about. On my own disco, I keep it at the top of the line and it doesn't drop. But I know nothing about this used truck, could this be just someone didn't fill it all the way?

Thanks!
Thats normal if there is a leak on the plastic cover on top of radiator. As long as its not overheating when you run it for 20-30 mins.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:03 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

We'd love to see pics when you get a chance. Sounds like another one saved from scrap.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:48 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Lisa Bunch
We'd love to see pics when you get a chance. Sounds like another one saved from scrap.
Sure thing pics:

Old 01-23-2018, 10:13 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Cleaner than mine. I see you are missing the idler belt cover. I managed to drop both spacers in my engine bay, never to be seen again.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:19 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Lisa Bunch
Cleaner than mine. I see you are missing the idler belt cover. I managed to drop both spacers in my engine bay, never to be seen again.
Oh thats true. Good eye. I will take it off my old disco!

It also looks like they deleted the ACE - didn't all 04's come with ACE standard??

Quick Reply: Low coolant level expansion tank - used 2004