Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower Intake Manifold Leak...Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 06:00 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lower Intake Manifold Leak...Help!!

I had my 03 Disco checked for an oil leak today and learned that I have a leak coming from the lower intake manifold. The import auto shop that it is at, believe it or not, has not done an 03 disco with this problem...SO... If anyone knows the parts list or anything else that I can pass on too them please let me know. I've priced an "intake gasket kit" at Atlantic..and it's about $109 bucks. Im wondering if there is anything else that should be done to the Disco While its APART. Thanks.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:27 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Lower Intake Manifold Leak...Help!!

What mileage is on your truck? When was your last tune-up?

Old 10-16-2007, 06:37 PM
Overlanding

The Mileage is 58K and the last known service was the 30K service. It was a lease by a lady with only the 30K service record stamped.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:32 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perfect. You are close to 60k, you might as well begin your services. If you want to keep your truck up like we do, do or have done DiscoMike's 60K services.Do a search for the 60k services on this website, you'll want to do that or have it done.

While the repairman has your intake off, they can install new ignition wires for you. It is good to do this every thirty thousand miles, and it is even better if you do it with 8mm Magnecor wires /w Bosch +4 platinum or fusion. If your valvecover gaskets (AKA Rocker cover gaskets) are leaking, or the screws are constantly coming un-torqued, have them replaced while the plenum is off. Of course, if you have this done, your coolant will have to be drained. No prob, it is a part of your services anyway... So, you can consider replacing your t-stat, and fix any coolant leaks that have been bothering you. Do you have coolant gathering on your driver's side valve cover, just under the throttle body? A 15 dollar kit from land rover can fix that.

I just did the following repairs to my '03 two weeks ago, you can consider them if you want.

lifted intake - ignition wire job 8mm mag / +4 fusion
replaced leaking valve cover gaskets, both sides.
replaced serpentine belt
replaced water pump, just to do it (warning, factory gasket is pretty tough to scrape off) they can fail. Part is 130 bucks
replaced T-stat
Inspected hoses.
replaced the thing under the throttle body because it was leaking.
replaced fan/fan clutch. you may want to consider just replacing the fan clutch. Inspect your fan.

Feel free to ask any questions. Also, we ask this of everyone,have you replaced the u-joints on your front drive shaft? They commonly fail between 50 - 90k miles, and can cause thousands of dollars of damage. You can drop the shaft, take it to a drive shaft shop (or have the same mechanic do it if he does drive shaft work regularly) and have them all changed out (3 u-joints, centering kit) for around 225-275 dollars. Mine started vibrating and whining. I should have done them when I got the truck and it was running fine. Anyway, I got it before it failed, its being fixed now.

Sorry, you aren't new

The following users liked this post:
kdscott100 (08-03-2020)
Old 10-16-2007, 09:58 PM
Overlanding

Thanks for the info. I will pass this on to my mechanic.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:33 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Yes, use the Valley pan gasket set from Atlantic British, no after market sets. Also buy a set of Magnacor 8mm wires and have them installed at the same time with some new Bosch Platinum Plus 4's.
When you are all done then clean the t/body, do an induction cleaning and an engine flush. Your truck will run like it has never run before.
You xan order the wires thru Cerrones at 650-365-4145, just ask for Tony.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:51 AM
Overlanding

Thank you.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:40 PM
Overlanding

We just got our D2 back from the Dealer and the estimete for the leaking lower intake manifold gasket is 2400.00. Is this something that my local mechanic would be able to do? We just dropped several grand on the 90K, then another couple grand for the timing belt cover, and a couple grand on the ABS box. Sorry, but running a bit low on disposible income.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:23 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You my friend need to stop throw money at your truck like you have no common sense. A 90K, even at a dealer, is less the $500 and you could have done it on your drive way for about $200 and 3 or 4 hours of your time.
Valley pan gaskets cost around $550 give or take a little, or $100 in parts and some of your labor with some help from us.
I am try to tell you to stay away from your dealer, he is a thief.

The following users liked this post:
kdscott100 (08-03-2020)
Old 02-16-2008, 11:45 AM
Overlanding

Upon discussing this with the wife, who picked up the truck from the dealer, she was told that it is not the actual gasket that is leaking, but their is a pinhole in the metal. What are the chances of that? We do smell coolant after the truck runs for a bit, and I do need to top it off every 2 weeks or so, so thier is a problem somewhere, I just can't see it. Also, what the heck is a BG nitrogen tire service?

Quick Reply: Lower Intake Manifold Leak...Help!!