Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower windscreen seal/cowl

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 07:47 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi to all... i'm new to this site and would really appreciate any help. I just bought a 2003 Disco 2 SE and am looking to replace the cracked/broken "Center Air Intake Molding Assembly" same cowl you are describing. Does anyone know where to purchase one?? i've search and search but no one has one?? any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks
Frank

Old 10-06-2012, 10:51 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by fn4weelin
Hi to all... i'm new to this site and would really appreciate any help. I just bought a 2003 Disco 2 SE and am looking to replace the cracked/broken "Center Air Intake Molding Assembly" same cowl you are describing. Does anyone know where to purchase one?? i've search and search but no one has one?? any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks
Frank
Hi Frank:

We bough ours from Atlantic British. I have not had the pleasure of installing this part as I just wrapped up the radiator and coolant hoses.

Other members have stated the hood does not have to be removed nor does the side finishes.

Search for lr2001silver posts.

The link for the part is below and in our is a Land Rover part.

Center Air Intake Moulding Assembly (Genuine Part # JAK000010PAM) - Land Rover body panels/fittings/trim exterior from Atlantic British

2003 Discovery 131 K with the high mile services complete.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:50 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$50 cheaper here

Old 10-06-2012, 01:01 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys you need to call around to some of the many bone yards. They are not all screwed up and i have purchased a back up for my truck for 45 dollars. I am sure you can find that cowl cheaper you will want to remove it your self or get it from a trusted source to ensure the tabs are not broken from a forceful removal.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:17 AM
3rd Gear

Borchera/Bkreutz,

Thanks for the info. much appreciated!! I found it on Miami British for $199, free shipping!! it's made out of fiberglass so it will hold up much better than the plastic cowl which from what i have research tends to crack on a regular basis!

Miami British -LAND ROVER FRONT WIPER PANEL COVER DISCOVERY II 99 – 04 MRB $199

Thanks Again!!
F

Old 12-15-2015, 06:59 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by wyrdvans
There are plastic clips moulded into the underside of the cowl that hold the cowl to the windshield. The clips tend to break off over time.

If the seal pulls away from the windshield on the passengerside, water has a direct path to the HVAC air intake where it will pool in the HVAC fan and eventually drip onto the floor and wiring under the fan causing the electrical headers to corrode causing all sorts of electrical issues. Don't ask me how I know.

On the driverside, I believe there is an opening too but it's closed off by a plate. If the seal on the plate has deteriorated, water can get behind the instrument cluster and drip down the firewall.

When I bought my rover a year ago, I replaced the cowl with a new one because it was pulling away from the windshield on the passenger side. I recently noticed the new one pulling away from the driver side. My windshield is cracked pretty bad so I would like to think that has something to do with it but I'm guessing it's caused by the heat from the engine/sun warping the plastic.

StreetWolf did manage to reseal it using some weight and adhesive to glue the cowl to the window. https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...g-there-48292/
Aww crap...Mine is cracked on the passenger side and driver side. The design for opening the hood is just stupid allows that piece to be stressed.
Anyone know a good place to get another one of those?

Old 12-16-2015, 07:51 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Miami British is the cheapest and seems to be made of fiberglass. Unfortunately they are out of stock: LAND ROVER FRONT WIPER PANEL COVER DISCOVERY 2 II 99 ? 04 JAK000010PMA MB | Miami British Corp.

Atlantic British has them though.
Center Air Intake Molding For Discovery II

The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (11-25-2016)
Old 12-16-2015, 08:37 AM
Winching
Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

I'm in the process of going thru this myself. Safelite broke mine when they installed a new windshield, 10 months ago. The replacement piece has developed bulges which push it away from the windshield. Waiting for the replacement.
If you look at that Miami British offering, it says "FIBER GLASS". not sure why it's in quotations but it does not include the weather strip or the foam for the intake. May not be such a bargain.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:11 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

iirc the one from Miami British is not NOS. I think someone bought one a few years ago and the fit was horrible.
do a search for black plastic windshield guard it was Ralphobell who bought the fiber glass one

Last edited by drowssap; 12-16-2015 at 09:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (11-25-2016)
Old 12-28-2016, 03:53 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

It pisses me off to see other Disco 2's have the cracked windscreen cowl (like I do) just as a much as when I pull up behind a Ford Explorer and always see the rear panel cracked.

Last edited by JUKE179r; 12-29-2016 at 05:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Lower windscreen seal/cowl