Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering seat frame.....?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 07:16 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering seat frame.....?

So im 6'3" and my knees tend to get a little close to the steering wheel, even when it is all the way up. When i used to own/work on older VW's, we would cut the seat mount so that people could have more room for there longer appendages. Is this at all possible in a disco 2? any help would be appreciated. thanks!

Old 05-29-2016, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

You should be able to get the seat to tilt and lower electrically. It's kinda silly and hard to explain, but you tilt it all the way down at the front, then run the back down and it will make the seat bottom lower, and flatten out. Sounds like it's in the highest settings to me.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:37 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Best4x4
You should be able to get the seat to tilt and lower electrically. It's kinda silly and hard to explain, but you tilt it all the way down at the front, then run the back down and it will make the seat bottom lower, and flatten out. Sounds like it's in the highest settings to me.
This was the first thing i tried to do, which i assume currently has it set all the way down. I will have to compare both front seats to see if it isnt going all the way down. I do have dancers legs, so maybe i am just to long for the drivers seat, lol. thanks!

Old 05-29-2016, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

No problem

Old 05-29-2016, 10:04 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

It has been several years since I gave up on the idea of configuring our seats for tall people but my recollection is that, to move them back, you would have to make a square frame and attach or weld it to the lower frame on the rover, then position the seat farther back on the new frame. Tall people are apparently supposed to sit in back, on the passenger side, because there is no other explanation for why the front passenger seat goes so far forward.

I'm only 5'11' but I guess I've got long legs. I am probably horribly deformed. Anyway, I have often wondered what would happen to my knees if I actually hit something (as opposed to being hit from behind, which has always been the case) because they are very close to the dash with the seat all of the way back.

Leaving aside knees and worrying about heads and necks (not my issue, given my long legs and presumably short torso) I don't see any potential to lower the altitude without a major refit. If you'll pardon my mess I have some spare seats out and here is a picture of the mount.

I've made several stabs at determining what seats might swap in for ours, but they have all ended in frustration. Range Rover seats for certain years MIGHT.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 05-29-2016 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:58 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 120 Likes on 104 Posts

reclining the seat back helps a little, but not much. When I had knee replacement surgery, my son's girlfriend took off with my van so I had to get hauled to the doc in the Disco... Was not a fun ride. these things are not made for large americans I guess. If the steering wheel would go up higher (tilt) that would help too. I have manual seats and they don't go down at all. I think the electric ones do drop down a bit more.

Old 05-30-2016, 05:07 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I did not do a search, but I distinctly recall a thread where a tall person reversed the seat tracks (turned around front to back) to achieve greater rearward travel.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:06 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by NickAdams
I did not do a search, but I distinctly recall a thread where a tall person reversed the seat tracks (turned around front to back) to achieve greater rearward travel.
Im going to have to look into that!

Old 05-30-2016, 10:42 AM
Mudding
Received 160 Likes on 73 Posts

I'm 6-2 and completely understand. I tilt the bottom of the seat so the back is in the lowest position, the front is almost up all the way. I actually scoot the seat closer to the wheel after that.

My biggest complaint is I'm still sitting so high that the rear view mirror makes for a huge blind spot! I have to look under the thing to see if it's clear. There have been several times I've missed a car that's right there in front of me.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:18 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm 6'7" and I feel the same way. I find it best with the front of the seat all the way down and move it all the way back. Also put the steering wheel all the way up

The following users liked this post:
SadaJones (02-19-2022)

Quick Reply: Lowering seat frame.....?