Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowest mileage disco

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 09:18 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowest mileage disco

Hey,
I think that I just might own the disco with lowest mileage, only 70.000km (about 40k miles). It's been garaged for over 6 years, and in that time it wasn't used at all (only once, 1 year ago).

I'm thinking about bringing it back to life, but first, could someone explain me why is that leather around handbrake cracked and worn and looks like it's been on the car for over 300k miles?

EDIT:
And by the way, I might consider getting facelift headlights, and is there a way to get central differential lock on this car?

Last edited by Bago; 05-11-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:50 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I take care of a 84 year old ladies 97 D1, just turned 40,000 miles. It is so new, it is a real experience driving it after my heavily modified 99 D2.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

UV and sweat or solvent on hand of prior driver. Mechanics leave strange residue sometimes.

Depending on the year, there may be a "spud" on the transfer case that just needs the linkage.

As for lowest miles - not even close. RoxieMoxie bought her first car, $2000, a D2, garaged parked by ecentric owner, 117 miles and original gasoline.

You'll want to do all the fluids under the truck anyway based on years. Radiator should be flushed as chemical activity goes on 24/7 even when parked. Same for rubber hoses and belts, it is called dry rot.

Stongly consider a 180F thermostat and the Ultra Gauge so you can keep temps a little lower. The factory gauge points at 50% from 130-240F, so you can detect overheating more quickly with an OBDII driven display.

New battery.

Your front drive shaft needs to be replaced or rebuilt. No grease seals on one section of it, it will split and thrash a hole in transmission. Rebuild info in our tech area.

Best oil is Shell Rotella 15W40 dino oil, and a jumbo oil filter. During extended storage you have had plenty of time for condesaton to add water to all of the fluids. The differentials and such have vent lines open to air, so it is like having a bottle of fluid sitting on th ework bench in the garage with no top on it, won't be the same as brand new fluid.

The most important add on is free to download, called the RAVE, a set of factory shop manuals. Links below.

With your work to get things back on schedule, you can look forward to another 150 - 200 thousand miles. Possibly by reducing the temperature you can avoid or greatly delay head gasket issues.

Attached Thumbnails Lowest mileage disco-pittsburgh-20120905-00034.jpg  
Old 05-11-2013, 09:59 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

That trumpts my little of ladies D1.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:03 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bago
Hey,
I think that I just might own the disco with lowest mileage, only 70.000km (about 40k miles). It's been garaged for over 6 years, and in that time it wasn't used at all (only once, 1 year ago).

I'm thinking about bringing it back to life, but first, could someone explain me why is that leather around handbrake cracked and worn and looks like it's been on the car for over 300k miles?

EDIT:
And by the way, I might consider getting facelift headlights, and is there a way to get central differential lock on this car?
The handbrake boot is a very common flaw. It's about a 10 minute job to replace and there are a couple retailers selling them for cheap on ebay (including a handbrake/diff shift combo I think.)

As for the CDL... If I recall correctly, some year models just need the correct shift linkage to take advantage of the diff lock. So if you're lucky you may not need a full tcase swap. Try the search function for more info here.

Finally, I do have an '04, but I vote you keep the stock lamps. It's a classic look.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:06 AM
Mudding
Default Try this guy:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/pr...k-awful-37605/

table { }td { padding-top: 1px; padding-right: 1px; padding-left: 1px; color: windowtext; font-size: 10pt; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; text-decoration: none; font-family: Arial; vertical-align: bottom; border: medium none; white-space: nowrap; }.xl65 { }.xl66 { text-align: center; border: 0.5pt solid windowtext; }

Old 05-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Overlanding

Thanks everyone for the replies! The car was made in 2001, does that mean I'm lucky enough for the cheaper option in getting differential lock?

About a year ago I've done something really stupid; went for a drive, just to "see if it still runs", and after about 30 miles it started smelling horribly after burnt plastic, so I stopped immediatly, but it was too late: my AC no longer works, so will have to fix that... Also need to replace crankshaft pulley, probably due to its age.

EDIT:
Dorgot to mention this earlier, it's Discovery TD5.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:54 AM
Mudding

Lucky 8 Ashcroft CDL Install for a Land Rover Discovery - YouTube

99 through early '01 DII's had the tcase with CDL internals. Call Justin at Lucky 8, he should be happy to help you ID yours and sell you an Ashcroft linkage if it's compatible. Some other more sage posters here may be able to steer you in the right direction as well.

PS- lucky you with a diesel! Canadian, eh?

Old 05-11-2013, 11:33 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by G150driver
Lucky 8 Ashcroft CDL Install for a Land Rover Discovery - YouTube

99 through early '01 DII's had the tcase with CDL internals. Call Justin at Lucky 8, he should be happy to help you ID yours and sell you an Ashcroft linkage if it's compatible. Some other more sage posters here may be able to steer you in the right direction as well.

PS- lucky you with a diesel! Canadian, eh?
Thanks for the link, my discovery was made in December 2000, but actually it is 2001 model, so hopefully I'll be able to get CDL easily.

Nop, not Canadian, not even a native speaker - I'm from Slovenia (quite small country near Italy, not to be confused with Slovakia).