Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lr disco jumpy! Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010 | 09:22 AM
|
4wd Low
Question Lr disco jumpy! Help please!

My 02 land rover disco series II is acting crazy. It only has 45k miles on it. It idles heavy and when I go up a hill it kinda stutters. Almost like it's missing gears but it's not. It's just real jumpy. I thought it may have been the cadillaic converter so I had that changed, but it's still doing it. Any ideas on what it might be?

Thanks!

Old 05-10-2010 | 09:42 AM
Winching

For the time, money, aggravation you put into it, you'd have been better off buying a code reader for $50, or taken it to a shop and gotten a free quote.

crappy gas
bad plugs
bad wires
bad coil(s)
bad o2 sensor(s)
carboned up

The catalytic converters can make it sluggish, but usually you'll see a check engine light, and I've not heard of them causing "jumpiness"

luck,greg

Old 05-10-2010 | 09:43 AM
Administrator

Why do people like to guess, make repairs and then wonder what is wrong?
Do you have a check engine light on, if so, what are the 4 digit fault code numbers?
As for your cats, if they were bad, they were still under a State or Federal emission warranty.
Be more specific as to your description as to what is wrong,acting heavy doesn't tell us much.
By the way, what octane gas are you burning?

Old 05-10-2010 | 09:51 AM
|
4wd Low

I'm using 92 octane which is what it calls for. The service engine light is on, where do I find the codes? I can't really explain what it's doing. The engine light has flashed before and the car acted like it had no power at all. I thought I was breaking down and then it accelerated...if that helps anymore? Thanks for the replies!

Old 05-10-2010 | 11:04 AM
Mudding

Most major chain auto parts places will read the codes for you for free. A flashing light isn't good. If it is flashing, I wouldn't drive it. You can rent a scanner as well & do it at home. Find out what codes you have & the guys can tell you where to start.

Old 05-10-2010 | 11:07 AM
Camel Trophy

Yeah, it has been said, but most parts stores will read the codes for free.

If the light is flashing, you are doing damage.

Most likely you just need a good tune up. Get the codes read and post all of the 4 digit code numbers on here. Then we can help.

Old 05-10-2010 | 11:49 AM
Three Wheeling

Sounds like misfires. Get the codes read, write 'em down, and post them here. I have experienced the same thing and that is what mine ended up being...bad coils and crummy plugs.

Old 05-10-2010 | 12:21 PM
|
4wd Low

Thanks for the help guys! I will get the codes..anyone know how much a tune up would cost me?

Old 05-10-2010 | 12:51 PM
Camel Trophy

under $200 if you do it yourself. Could cost upwards of $1K at the dealer.

The dealer will not use the best parts for what you need. Get back with the codes and we can suggest the proper parts for replacement. Factory is not the best to use in this case.

Old 05-10-2010 | 02:14 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by dnorrell
Sounds like misfires. Get the codes read, write 'em down, and post them here. I have experienced the same thing and that is what mine ended up being...bad coils and crummy plugs.
+1 - the exact same thing happened three weeks ago to my vr6 jetta. Coil and wires

Quick Reply: Lr disco jumpy! Help please!