Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR Lug Nuts???

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 03:58 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default LR Lug Nuts???

I was looking at my right rear tire and it looked flat so I brought it to my local firestone, I just got a call and they said they can't get the tire off?? They think its a "land Rover only" thing referring to the Lug nuts. They might be right, does anyone know???

Old 07-27-2007, 04:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: LR Lug Nuts???

No that I'm aware of. Mine come off normal. Iv'e never heard of that.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:17 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The lug nuts come off just like any other vehicle. Its not a Land Rover only thing. Your lug nuts have probably been compressed by some tire installer with an overzealous trigger finger on the impact wrench. Tell them to try using a 28mm socket to get those lug nuts off. Otherwise do you know if you have a lock on your lug nuts?

Old 07-27-2007, 05:33 PM
TReK

Ok i figured out from the guy at Firestone that the last place that did the tire put the wrong lugs on there and they have been on there for a while and the are very worn down, he said the dealership would have the right tool to get it off, and my indy mech does also, so i guess i will bring it there. I am the second owner so i'm not sure where the last person got the tires serviced.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh brother. How annoying is that?! Sheesh.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:49 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You can't put a different set of lug nut on a Disco other then the lug nuts for a steel wheel.
Someone has used the wrong size lug wrench and distorted the tin covers that are attached to the lug nut.
The actual lug nut size is a 1 1/16th. 6 point socket.
Tell Fire stone to earn their money and go one size large for now or drive the proper size lug nut socket with a hammer.
No for the bad news, you need to go buy the proper size socket to keep in the truck and then go buy however many new lug nuts to replace the bad ones, they are about $22 a piece.
Mike

Old 09-01-2007, 02:26 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is all too creepy cuz basically the same thing happened to me. Firestone told me the exact same thing!!! It sounds to me that they are just too afraid to mess something up so "send it to the dealer." [:@] I too am not the original ownerbut Ihave no way of finding out who did the previous tire work so I am going on a whim and guessing that they might have cross threaded them, as opposed to tightening them too much...not ruling that out though because it IS on both sides (rear only though). If you took discomike's advice let me know if it worked for you and I shall do the same. For now, I am going to try removing the lug nut caps and hitting them with some grease to loosen them up.

Old 09-01-2007, 04:19 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Don't try removing the caps. looks like crap afterward and then you are into another issue of what size socket to use.
Go buy some good used one from a place like, http://www.roverlandparts.com/index....TS&Category=24
New one are about $22 a piece.
The best thing you can do is try and gently hammer on a 1 1/26 6 point socket on to the damaged sockets to remove them.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:54 PM
TReK

Ok well this story actually had a happy ending for me. I brought the disco down the road to another tire place. They did the work and I had to truck back in an hour. I couldn't beleive it! They didn't even say anything! I don't know what the deal is with Firestone but I won't be going back there any time soon! I did ask the guy what he thought about the whole situation and he said maybe they don't have the right size for LR's at Firestone but he didn't know why they wouldn't! So i guess just find another tire place and see what they do! (the place I went to was a goodyear place FYI)! good luck!

Old 09-02-2007, 08:06 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

From what I have found, Firestone is like Midas. National chain that has had a lot of bad stuff fly their way due to bad workmanship. Most shops won't touch anything out of the norm. Find a local guy that someone recommends for tires/exhaust. You will find they are cheaper too.....

Quick Reply: LR Lug Nuts???