Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS Conversions Discovery 2- houston

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 10:38 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LS Conversions Discovery 2- houston

Can anyone recommend a shop that does a lot of engine conversions for Discovery 2's? A 5.3L Vortec motor was recommended but the gentleman is out of state and I would prefer to have it done locally. This is is the planning stages and I am looking into the options and costs. Thank you.

David

Old 06-20-2021, 11:04 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 184 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by dcaven
Can anyone recommend a shop that does a lot of engine conversions for Discovery 2's? A 5.3L Vortec motor was recommended but the gentleman is out of state and I would prefer to have it done locally. This is is the planning stages and I am looking into the options and costs. Thank you.
You might want to take a look at the LS Conversion thread. I believe there was someone that had done the swap in / around Houston. They might have some recommendations on local shops.

Old 06-20-2021, 11:12 AM
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts

Was there not some guys selling the kit than gave up because it was such a pain

Old 06-20-2021, 11:13 AM

The only reason I would do this is solely for mpg anything else not worth it

Old 06-20-2021, 11:21 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
Was there not some guys selling the kit than gave up because it was such a pain
ACE never stopped selling to shops. They stopped selling to individual people for a while, but has been back at that for probably over a year now.

The only reason I would do this is solely for mpg anything else not worth it
I'd say significantly better engine reliability, a lot more power, better fuel economy, and parts availability in that order.

The following 2 users liked this post by CaptainAaron:
losinov (06-22-2021), The_OGCJR (06-24-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainAaron
ACE never stopped selling to shops. They stopped selling to individual people for a while, but has been back at that for probably over a year now.

I'd say significantly better engine reliability, a lot more power, better fuel economy, and parts availability in that order.
thats good to know about the kits

but I’m assuming it’s not cheap I looked into this before. Your looking at close to 8 k and your getting a used LS with who know how many km.

power means nothing to me personally in my disco

Old 06-20-2021, 02:01 PM
Rock Crawling

thats good to know about the kits

but I’m assuming it’s not cheap I looked into this before. Your looking at close to 8 k and your getting a used LS with who know how many km.

power means nothing to me personally in my disco
It was significantly cheaper than 8k USD. I would say a pretty average price for parts while doing it yourself would be about $5k usd. Don't know about engine prices in Canada though. I'd trust a used LS for ages over the Rover V8. I did some minor updates, like new water pump, etc while the engine was out.

With a stock Disco, not a ton of need for extra power over a 4.6. But power is really nice for cruising in the Disco once you load it up with offroad gear.

The following users liked this post:
The_OGCJR (06-24-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 05:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 140 Likes on 97 Posts

Hey Captain, Curious what your seeing in MPG improvement over the stock Rover motor.
Remember, all men lie about two things - gas mileage and...

Old 06-21-2021, 06:25 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by dswilly
Hey Captain, Curious what your seeing in MPG improvement over the stock Rover motor.
Remember, all men lie about two things - gas mileage and...
Haha, that made me laugh.

My gas mileage went up. Before with the 4.0, I would struggle to get 11-12 mpg even on premium because my truck is so heavy with bumpers, roof rack, etc. I had to really work the engine especially in the mountains, etc. With the 5.3, it improved to about 14.5-15 on regular. But then I added a bunch more weight and wind resistance with new rocksliders, steering guard, etc, so its come back down a bit from there. I also know I drive faster with the 5.3, so there’s that too.

Hard to consistently say how much it would be on a specific truck given driving style, tire size, weight, and airflow-reducing mods, but I'd say that mpg will improve some.

Old 06-23-2021, 09:54 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 140 Likes on 97 Posts

Haha, that made me laugh.

My gas mileage went up. Before with the 4.0, I would struggle to get 11-12 mpg even on premium because my truck is so heavy with bumpers, roof rack, etc. I had to really work the engine especially in the mountains, etc. With the 5.3, it improved to about 14.5-15 on regular. But then I added a bunch more weight and wind resistance with new rocksliders, steering guard, etc, so its come back down a bit from there. I also know I drive faster with the 5.3, so there’s that too.

Hard to consistently say how much it would be on a specific truck given driving style, tire size, weight, and airflow-reducing mods, but I'd say that mpg will improve some.
I would think the LS should do better being a more modern design, etc. I am curious about where it makes power and how that works compared to the stock engine, in my case a 4.6. I bought my D2 with a LS swap in mind but am now leaning towards a stock rebuild with top hats. The stock engine makes great torque down low. Looking at torque curve comparisons maybe more low end torque than a 5.3 LS. The LS bringing in more above 3000 rpm. I could also be wrong as only did a quick google to see some torque charts. I am still impressed at how little throttle tip-in is needed to move the truck . Full disclosure I am not a power-speed guy anymore, especially with the D2. I like that the Rover gets around fine with little throttle effort and cruises nicely at 65-70mph. I have been getting around 12.5 mpg before and after lift and tires.

Quick Reply: LS Conversions Discovery 2- houston