Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS Conversions Discovery 2- houston

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2021, 10:03 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,154 Likes on 623 Posts

Threadjacking a bit but I can never seem to get the answer to these questions:

-- Do the stock gauge clusters on both 99-02 and 03-04 work with a conversion?
-- Does Traction control still work with a conversion?
-- Does ACE **and** SLS still work with a conversion?

Old 06-23-2021, 10:57 AM
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by nashvegas

you should ask the guys that do the kit, i think its ac enginner or something is the username, im sure he will answer all your questions properly and accurately

Old 06-23-2021, 11:09 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 184 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by dswilly
I would think the LS should do better being a more modern design, etc. I am curious about where it makes power and how that works compared to the stock engine, in my case a 4.6. I bought my D2 with a LS swap in mind but am now leaning towards a stock rebuild with top hats. The stock engine makes great torque down low. Looking at torque curve comparisons maybe more low end torque than a 5.3 LS. The LS bringing in more above 3000 rpm. I could also be wrong as only did a quick google to see some torque charts. I am still impressed at how little throttle tip-in is needed to move the truck . Full disclosure I am not a power-speed guy anymore, especially with the D2. I like that the Rover gets around fine with little throttle effort and cruises nicely at 65-70mph. I have been getting around 12.5 mpg before and after lift and tires.
I had a stock 4.6 Discovery before, I would say the LS makes about the same torque as the 4.6 down really low in the RPM range (<1500). For offroading, it basically feels the same at low RPM. I think that it probably makes a little more torque at cruising speed (2000-2500 RPM) because it doesn’t drop down a gear as often, which I think makes it a bit more comfortable. It absolutely takes off and pulls once you get past 2500-3000, but rarely do ever feel the need to go there. LS always feels like there is more available “on tap” and I think is smoother.

It has that same very small amount of throttle needed to move feeling. I sometimes wonder what it would be like to have gotten even more torque down low with a towing or truck cam for the LS (some advertise like 35+ ft-lbs more at 1500), but the stock setup has been more than enough.

I’m biased, but I wouldn’t remotely consider a top hat rebuild. Similar cost, and you’re stuck with that old engine design, leaky seals and all. Virtually everything is easier to get to on the LS, and I’ve put much less time into keeping it running that the 4.0/4.6. With the 4.6 something was always broken, leaking, or starting to break or leak. Sure, its more work for the LS in the beginning, but its a much better truck afterwards.
Originally Posted by nashvegas

With Alternative Conversion kit, both stock gauge clusters work with no error lights. Traction control still works. I personally did not have the ACE or SLS, but I assume they would work because all the stuff for them remains. ACE pump placement would change and the lines might need to be changed / revised to fit.

The following users liked this post:
whowa004 (06-23-2021)
Old 06-23-2021, 03:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 140 Likes on 97 Posts

[QUOTE=CaptainAaron;779759]I had a stock 4.6 Discovery before, I would say the LS makes about the same torque as the 4.6 down really low in the RPM range (<1500). For offroading, it basically feels the same at low RPM. I think that it probably makes a little more torque at cruising speed (2000-2500 RPM) because it doesn’t drop down a gear as often, which I think makes it a bit more comfortable. It absolutely takes off and pulls once you get past 2500-3000, but rarely do ever feel the need to go there. LS always feels like there is more available “on tap” and I think is smoother.

It has that same very small amount of throttle needed to move feeling. I sometimes wonder what it would be like to have gotten even more torque down low with a towing or truck cam for the LS (some advertise like 35+ ft-lbs more at 1500), but the stock setup has been more than enough.

I’m biased, but I wouldn’t remotely consider a top hat rebuild. Similar cost, and you’re stuck with that old engine design, leaky seals and all. Virtually everything is easier to get to on the LS, and I’ve put much less time into keeping it running that the 4.0/4.6. With the 4.6 something was always broken, leaking, or starting to break or leak. Sure, its more work for the LS in the beginning, but its a much better truck afterwards.

I came into this thinking the stock engine was complete garbage and the LS swap was the future. Then once I owned it I generated a new respect for it. Mine has nearly 180k, has had several HG jobs done by previous owners, is tired but still runs well and makes power. Does not leak a drop of oil or use any really. Ok I lied, I have a small valve cover weep. That history alone tells me its not complete junk. Does have the hot idle tick.
I'm not sure that top hats + Extinct Thermostat and a good rebuild you wouldnt come out with a motor that could easily go 200k again or more without serious issues. I am all in that hot normal temps, a tempermental cooling system design and non-enthusiast ownership was the triple threat that killed most. I can fix those three things and already have. I'm not dismissing the LS option and do think it is really cool, but I'm more inclined to go stock again at this point.

Old 06-23-2021, 09:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

This isn't a Houston shop (San Antonio) but Hill Country British helped me button up my swap.
I had 95% of the swap complete already but had to move to the east coast before I could get the truck running.