Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Luck would have it.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2020, 08:00 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Luck would have it.

Sept 19, 1230 am.

A lady high or drunk on something hit the fire hydrant in front of where our Rover was parked. She detached the hydrant sending it flying as well as her car. The hydrant flew under the rover as she launched on top of the hood, driving over the front end and landing in the street.

My question is...

Value of the Rover.

234,000 miles. Engine, trans runs like a top. Terra firma suspension as well as steering linkage, dampener. brushguard, snorkel, light covers, step, ladder, roof rack, new brakes within the year and two new tires within the year. The insurance is, what I feel, lowballing us. We managed to talk them up to $3500 but my wife is adamant about not giving them the roof rack and ladder.

Interior is immaculate except for the stress marks in the seat bottom of the drivers seat. It is NOT cracked.

I have a ton of questions on how to handle this as I dont even know the name of the other driver. There is an investigation going on with the police etc.

Ask away, I need some advice as well as have a ton of gripes.

Last edited by shanechevelle; 10-01-2020 at 08:09 AM.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:02 AM
Pro Wrench
Old 10-01-2020, 08:40 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 246 Likes on 198 Posts

find some of the old BAT listings. D2s are going for a lot more than $3,500.00 these days.

point of reference, when my insurance company totaled out my stock '04 we were paid $6,000.00.

of course, i bought it back for $600.00 and then spent another $1,000.00 to fix it myself.

Edit: and sorry to hear about your truck. glad you all are ok.

Old 10-01-2020, 08:42 AM
TReK
Received 762 Likes on 630 Posts

If the insurance is adamant about their number and write it off, you could potentially sell off some of the extras in order to recoup some of the real value. I'd potentially be interested in the roof rack, for example.
They might be balking at the high mileage.

Old 10-01-2020, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,244 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Does it still run/drive? I'd take the 3,500.00 if you are able to keep your truck to repair it and the title status is un-touched. If it's 3,500.00 and they tow it away = OH HECK NO.....

​​​​​​

Old 10-01-2020, 10:06 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 781 Posts

Sorry to hear about the Disco, but yea way too low. My bet is they are using a price from the blue book not actual real world pricing.

Old 10-01-2020, 12:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts

Blue book value isn’t the biggest key here. It is “what it would cost for you to replace it with something very similar”. They need to make you “whole”. They chose to insure someone and that someone removed the use of your vehicle from you. They owe you fair replacement cost ( look for similar sold values) this is more difficult for older vehicles as people typically list them higher than what people pay for them. But insurance also owes you tax,title, and licensing fee money. I don’t know if you got a rental or not. If you did not, keep in mind that this part varies state to state, you are entitled to “loss of use” compensation. In Texas this is around $20 a day but most people don’t know about it and just take a rental. People that you talk to at the insurance company may not know it exist either and they’ll need management help.
Also, something that may work in your favor at the moment is that adjusters are typically not going out to view vehicles. They will work with pictures. Ask for the paperwork on how they graded your vehicle. If the paint was clean and shiney, fight for a better rating than “good”. If the tires were recent, then check how they graded them. Don’t go overboard but you can describe your vehicle’s condition in a positive way and take pictures that show it to be so if you catch my drift. Someone recently hit my wife’s vehicle that would have cost me about 15k to replace exactly with mileage and options. Original offer was around 9k. After a few brief conversations with the other parties insurance, factoring in loss of use, tt&L, condition arguments and support, child car seats in vehicle, I was able to get to 14,800 which was just short of my goal of 15 and I walked without a bad taste in my mouth.

i wish you the best. You have opportunities here and it’s not all bad. You can buy back cheap and fix it. Use it as a get out of land rover jail free card. Take the money and use it as a down payment. Etc. So look at the bright side while looking out for yourself and not getting flattened by the other parties insurance. Remind them that their client is at fault and that they are obligated to make you “whole” again.

The following 3 users liked this post by TexasLandmark:
jastutte (10-01-2020), rhyslegge (10-01-2020), SundayFunday (11-15-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,244 Likes on 1,664 Posts

#1 thing = IT IS NOT THEIR vehicle!!! It is yours, they can't just cut you a check for 3.5k, and tow it away! You can keep it and get the 3.5-5k from them to fix it. You can also demand they DO NOT touch the status of the title. Having a hood replaced, a brush guard, and other small bits n pieces does not justify your vehicle receiving a Salvage title! Salvage titles are from more serious wrecks, flood damage, or theft.

When my 98 LSE 50th Anniversary Edition was rear-ended many many years ago the dudes insurance tried to tell me oh it's just an 18 year old vehicle and the KBB/NADA on it is at best 1.4k. That guy probably never wishes he'd have told me that to this day. I completely went off on his butt! Then he tried to tell me oh well 1.4k is to take your Land Rover away & we'll give you 900.00 to repair it but we must issue you a Salvage title. I told him look buddy it's my Land Rover and not yours. I am the victim here because your customer with a 2014 F250 couldn't stop and my 98 Land Rover stopped on a freaking dime.... So you either give me the $$$$ to properly repair my Land Rover or else. It took two months of back n forth negotiations, but it went from 900.00 to 1.5k, to 3.1k, and my title status stayed clean. I accepted the 3.1k, went to a local LKQ and bought a rear bumper for 65.00 complete with end caps and lights. I also grabbed the rear cargo door license plate light assembly for 10.00. Got home installed all that stuff, then I found a tree and pulled the darn tire carrier out straight and called it a day. I then took the left over $$$ and bought my 99 D2 and put the rest in the bank.

I'd demand your Land Rover gets $$$$ to fix it, and the title is un-touched. DO NOT LET THEM TAKE IT AWAY!!!!! They will actually make $$$$ off your Land Rover. That's the other part I forgot to mention about my 98 D1. Travelers Insurance (very crappy IMHO) sent out some people to look over my Land Rover. They DID NOT setup a time/date with me, and they showed up at nearly dark.... The first thing they asked was to look inside and take pictures. Then they asked me to pop the hood so they could take pictures. The third thing they asked was if I could crank it, and let them hear it run... All of which had nothing to do with the damage to the rear cargo door, and rear bumper... They took one pic the rear-end and left. A friend of mine that deals with insurance a lot said he knew exactly what they were doing!!! They come by and check out the condition of your vehicle and then they can list it on an auction site. If it's in clean condition inside/out and it runs and drives they'll give you a low 1.4k tops for your vehicle, then come and get it, and sell it for double that in seconds.... I reported that crap to the adjuster I was dealing with and said I was not happy with them just showing up without an appointment, and that I knew what they were doing taking pictures and listening to it run vs look at the actual damage. 2 days later I had the 3.1k check in my name!

The following 2 users liked this post by Best4x4:
mollusc (10-01-2020), rhyslegge (10-01-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 06:46 PM
Pro Wrench

I have to explain some things better....

I dont know her name. I only know she has State Farm. The police report is pending an investigation, they told us it will now be at least a month before we get any kind of report.

We called state farm, they told us they still havent gotten ahold of their customer so they cant share anything with us. The cops wont either.

My insurance is USAA. They are the ones bartering with us for the check for my vehicle.

We feel $4500 would be a fair price for the rover WITHOUT all the extras. I want to take off all the terra firma stuff, I want the roof rack as i feel it is ultra rare since it's not common and I've never seen another one like it. The ladder, the step, etc. The snorkel is cracked.

Old 10-01-2020, 06:57 PM
Pro Wrench

I also requested a buy back price. If I can buy it back for a good price, I'll buy another and swap the parts and be happy again.

Idk why my insurance is being so picky with me, its customer, it's going to get a certain amount back from state farm. I realize state farm wont pay too much and USAA may just break even but I am their customer.

Quick Reply: Luck would have it.