Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lug replacements

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 12:43 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default lug replacements

Hey everyone,
Is there any other good option when replacing the lugs other than the genuine ones? Looking for something much more cost efficient and lugs that stupid tire shops won't mess up.

Did a search, but nothing comes up. I apologize if this has been covered in great detail... which I would guess it has.

Thanks

Old 07-09-2012, 03:51 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

There really are no other lug nuts out there. The trick is do not use a torque wrench to tighten them and they wont fail.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:39 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
There really are no other lug nuts out there. The trick is do not use a torque wrench to tighten them and they wont fail.
Can you expand on that a bit? It seems to me that not having them at even torques would cause some to fail quicker. I can understand doing a lower torque than required but not checking torque values seems kind of silly to me.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:28 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think he means impact wrench, not torque wrench

Old 07-10-2012, 08:55 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Thank you, that is what I ment to say. Our lugs have to be torqued to 102 pounds and by hand not with a impact wrench.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, when I had my tires balanced I specifically told them not to use a impact wrench and watched them put the tires back on to make sure. Learnt my lesson long ago almost throwing my back out trying to change a tire where some jack *** had used a impact wrench to tighten the bolts.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:38 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
I'm assuming the problem with using the impact wrench is that it over-torques the lug nuts and damages them when tightening them.

Is it ok to use an impact wrench to LOOSEN the lug nuts?
or does this damage them as well?

cheers,

Thomas

Old 07-10-2012, 03:57 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by twaszak
I'm assuming the problem with using the impact wrench is that it over-torques the lug nuts and damages them when tightening them.

Is it ok to use an impact wrench to LOOSEN the lug nuts?
or does this damage them as well?

cheers,

Thomas
As far as I've witnessed, as long as you break tension initially by hand and once loose you use an impact; that's fine.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:30 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Another option, its to remove the stupid caps. All it takes is about 5 minutes, a vice and some pliers. You are left with a lug that a 1 inch socket fits perfectly on. Would recommend welding the hole in the top and painting them to prevent against rusting. Surprised no one has tried removing the caps..

Old 07-11-2012, 06:01 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I friend once told me that european lug nuts and wheel studs are machined for greater interference fitting than american style ones. He had to break down his machinist talk for me too. Basically the threads on euro stuff fit tighter than american stuff, so if you over-torque rover lugnuts it smashes the threads- hence lug nuts that wont stay tight and studs that wont hold lug nuts. I found the best replacement lugnuts and studs are in the junkyard- if they are hard to get off then they are still good usually

Quick Reply: lug replacements