Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lug replacements

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 12:18 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

British Pacific was reasonable. I purchased some from them a few months ago. Can't remember if they are genuine, but they seem heavy.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:02 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the info everyone. Can anyone guide me on the right size socket for these lugs? I believe I heard they're 28mm... is that correct? My Rover has the spare tire changing kit, but the included lug wrench is not the right one, because it doesn't fit...

Old 07-12-2012, 12:48 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a 1 1/16 socket. You can also use Porche Carrerra turbo front wheel studs if you need longer ones.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by bballjames
Thanks for all the info everyone. Can anyone guide me on the right size socket for these lugs? I believe I heard they're 28mm... is that correct? My Rover has the spare tire changing kit, but the included lug wrench is not the right one, because it doesn't fit...
27mm or 1-1/16 inch.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:21 PM
Winching

Strange. I tried a 27mm and it didn't quite fit. I know people say this is a sign that someone used the wrong size socket and jacked up the lugs... but they look perfect. Maybe I'll try the 27mm on all lugs and see if it fits on any of them.

I will also try the 1 1/16 and see how that goes.

Thanks again. This forum is truly invaluable.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:33 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine are 28mm. Got a 6pt socket from Autozone. Advance didn't have a 6pt 28mm. It was about $5, and I picked up a 1/2" drive 25" breaker bar from harbor freight to use with it.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:00 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Eaglerover22
Mine are 28mm. Got a 6pt socket from Autozone. Advance didn't have a 6pt 28mm. It was about $5, and I picked up a 1/2" drive 25" breaker bar from harbor freight to use with it.
Thanks. I will head over to Autozone and pick one up. The biggest they had at harbor freight was 27mm which didn't fit the couple lugs I tried.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:26 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

The correct size is 27mm. If you need a 28mm then your caps are buggered. If you use a 28mm on lug nuts that aren't already buggered, they soon will be.
You can use an impact wrench to remove them without issue (provided you're using a 27mm socket).
You can use an impact to install them if you set it to the lowest torque and finish by had torquing.
More often than not a tire shop ruins them by using the wrong size socket (or a 12pt socket), not from using an impact wrench.

Never use a 12pt socket on them.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:04 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by antichrist
The correct size is 27mm. If you need a 28mm then your caps are buggered. If you use a 28mm on lug nuts that aren't already buggered, they soon will be.
You can use an impact wrench to remove them without issue (provided you're using a 27mm socket).
You can use an impact to install them if you set it to the lowest torque and finish by had torquing.
More often than not a tire shop ruins them by using the wrong size socket (or a 12pt socket), not from using an impact wrench.

I used a 27mm all the years at the dealership, (and still do today on my personal Rover).

Old 07-13-2012, 09:26 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist

What do you mean by "buggered"? I tried a 27 mm on my lugs (and I've always used a 6pt socket), and its just too small. It won't even begin to fit over the nuts. And I tried it on all my lug nuts. The 28mm 6pt is a perfect fit. Almost all my lug nuts appear to be in perfect shape. So when you say "buggered" are you suggesting there is something wrong with my lug nuts? I.e. warped or somehow expanded, and is this a safety issue that I should attend to immediately? Or do you just mean chewed up from years of overzealous mechanics using impact wrenches?

Quick Reply: lug replacements