Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lynx or hawkeye

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 10:10 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts
Default lynx or hawkeye

Well I'm in a pickle. I can get the lynx from lrdirect for around $260 unlocked for one vehicle or the hawkeye unlocked for all Land Rover vehicles for $326 from rimmer brothers. I use nothing but strictly mac products at my house so I would either have to buy a windows tablet, emulating software, or a cheap windows laptop for the lynx. My concern with the Hawkeye is can I program keys and do all the stuff I need that a lynx would do. Help me out fellow rovers

Old 01-22-2017, 01:13 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
Well I'm in a pickle. I can get the lynx from lrdirect for around $260 unlocked for one vehicle or the hawkeye unlocked for all Land Rover vehicles for $326 from rimmer brothers. I use nothing but strictly mac products at my house so I would either have to buy a windows tablet, emulating software, or a cheap windows laptop for the lynx. My concern with the Hawkeye is can I program keys and do all the stuff I need that a lynx would do. Help me out fellow rovers
IMO I would settle for the Lynx and buy a cheapo Win 10 tab which inevitably will get ruined in the garage and like all hardware these days will soon be out of date. I, ironically, bought a cheap tab also called a Linx, slightly different spelling, but handles everything on Win 10, internet, e-mails and the Lynx diag system. The Lynx is produced by Omitec and will do everything you'll ask of it and is marketed by Britpart who, as you know, are a huge Landrover aftermarket suppliers.

TIP: Although Rimmer Bros are an excellent company their prices are top dollar. Shop around and you'll find cheaper.

Old 01-22-2017, 01:33 PM
Pro Wrench

That's what I was still thinking but I did like the fact that it was unlocked for all Land Rover vehicles and not just 1 single model as would be the lynx. Hell rimmer brothers is a lot cheaper still than most of the suppliers stateside. I was just unsure if the Hawkeye can program keys and whatnot. I know it can do all the actuating of the abs and diagnostic functions.

Old 01-22-2017, 03:08 PM

That's what I was still thinking but I did like the fact that it was unlocked for all Land Rover vehicles and not just 1 single model as would be the lynx. Hell rimmer brothers is a lot cheaper still than most of the suppliers stateside. I was just unsure if the Hawkeye can program keys and whatnot. I know it can do all the actuating of the abs and diagnostic functions.
These people will cut you a deal on the Lynx

https://www.jgs4x4.co.uk/land-rover-...e-tool-da6430/

The Hawkeye can reprogram keys etc also.

Hawkeye Q & A - Bearmach

Old 01-22-2017, 03:25 PM
Pro Wrench

What about nanocom evo from black box solutions?

Old 01-22-2017, 03:31 PM

What about nanocom evo from black box solutions?
Nanocom are a small company who have changed hands already at least once so I would personally avoid them albeit their product is OK but I would stick to the big boys for longevity, Britpart or Bearmach, who, in fact, are the same company. Britpart, Bearmach and Allmakes are one and the same just different names. I learned that from an LR main dealership buyer a year or two ago.

Old 01-22-2017, 03:35 PM
Pro Wrench

Good to know. I just hate using windows software with a passion!!!!! If the rimmer brothers Hawkeye is unlocked for all rovers, I might go that route but if not, I saw lr direct had the lynx the cheapest I've seen yet. Just wish it worked on mac

Old 01-22-2017, 03:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Old 01-22-2017, 03:37 PM
Pro Wrench

Here is the link for the Hawkeye. I have yet to see the Hawkeye total. It looks a lot like the Hawkeye pro
Discovery 2 Hawkeye Total Diagnostic Tool for All Land Rovers - Bearmach BA5068 at www.rimmerbros.co.uk

Old 01-22-2017, 04:14 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 184 Likes on 157 Posts

I went with the lynx and installed windows via bootcamp on my old macbook air

Comes down to personal preference I think, whether you want a self-contained unit or one that plugs into a computer. I prefer the screen because you can display a lot more information at once, multiple charts for live data, and navigate the interface quicker

I haven't heard of the Hawkeye Total before, all I know is the Hawkeye and Hawkeye Pro

Quick Reply: lynx or hawkeye