Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M & S lights flashing

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 02:44 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M & S lights flashing

The M & S lights are flashing on my truck, the problem is intermittently. I checked the battery (3 months old) voltage after having the truck parked overnight and it reads 12 volts. The alternator checked out fine. I ran the truck at idle with the a/c, a/c fan on high, and headlights on and it was reading 14 volts. The XYZ switch and transmission fluid were replaced about 15k miles ago (2 years ago). I checked for codes today and I got a P0750 only. What do you guys think could be causing the problem and what part needs to be replaced. I'd hate to start guessing and replacing parts that aren't bad.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

P0750 = Shift Solenoid A Malfunction.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:29 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by ralphobell
P0750 = Shift Solenoid A Malfunction.
What can I do to fix that "malfunction". I was looking on the Atlantic British website and they list about 3 different solenoids all related to the transmission and shifter. I am not sure which one it could be if it is even one of them.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:54 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i would use some electrical cleaner and start checking connections to make sure they are not corroded and are tight.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:16 AM
dzm
1st Gear

I have had a similar problem and need help. My 1999 Disco II has 108,000 miles on it and has been a most reliable car until now. I'm the original owner. Recently my car stalled/stopped while waiting at a stop light. It started back up. Then it would not start, but after waiting a few minutes started right back up. The next day it felt like I had a small burp or hesitation for one instant while running on the freeway and a few minutes later on city streets the S and M green lights came on and it went into limp mode. It ran ok all the way home and seemed fine the next morning. The next day I came to a stop and it stalled and would not restart right away. Because it had stalled in a very dangerous place, I cranked the starter repeatedly until I drained the battery...I was afraid I was going to die right there because cars were having to swerve to aviod hitting me when they saw I was stalled in the middle of two fast lanes going in opposite directions. Because the battery was dead I had the car towed to a repair shop. They told me the crank sensor needed to be replaced, but the car started for them. By the time they had determined that the crank sensor was not the problem (a new one did nothing better so they replaced the old one) the car would not start for them at all. They said I need a new transmission. I had the car towed to a land rover dealer. The dealer says that the starter is broken and needs to be replaced, which will be almost $1000 dollars. I'm not sure I want to put that much $ into the car because I've already had to buy a new auto, so I can get to work and keep my job, however I love my old car and would fix it for a reasonable price. I'm simply not sure if there are multiple problems and I should scrap the vehicle or donate it to charity. I was hoping to fix it and save it for my son, whose 18. It does not seem from reading the forum that this is simply a broken starter.

Can you enlighten me on what might be the issue?

I should mention that the battery is new and reportedly putting out at least 14v, that the front brakes were replaced, with rotors, 5 days before the problem started and that I've had 3 Amigos on for several years because a sensor got wet but I don't do any downhill off road driving so a trusted rover friend (now retired...a sad loss) told me to ignore the 3 Amigos.

Please help save a trusty landrover from hospice.....!!

Old 08-11-2011, 10:40 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dzm
I have had a similar problem and need help. My 1999 Disco II has 108,000 miles on it and has been a most reliable car until now. I'm the original owner. Recently my car stalled/stopped while waiting at a stop light. It started back up. Then it would not start, but after waiting a few minutes started right back up. The next day it felt like I had a small burp or hesitation for one instant while running on the freeway and a few minutes later on city streets the S and M green lights came on and it went into limp mode. It ran ok all the way home and seemed fine the next morning. The next day I came to a stop and it stalled and would not restart right away. Because it had stalled in a very dangerous place, I cranked the starter repeatedly until I drained the battery...I was afraid I was going to die right there because cars were having to swerve to aviod hitting me when they saw I was stalled in the middle of two fast lanes going in opposite directions. Because the battery was dead I had the car towed to a repair shop. They told me the crank sensor needed to be replaced, but the car started for them. By the time they had determined that the crank sensor was not the problem (a new one did nothing better so they replaced the old one) the car would not start for them at all. They said I need a new transmission. I had the car towed to a land rover dealer. The dealer says that the starter is broken and needs to be replaced, which will be almost $1000 dollars. I'm not sure I want to put that much $ into the car because I've already had to buy a new auto, so I can get to work and keep my job, however I love my old car and would fix it for a reasonable price. I'm simply not sure if there are multiple problems and I should scrap the vehicle or donate it to charity. I was hoping to fix it and save it for my son, whose 18. It does not seem from reading the forum that this is simply a broken starter.

I should mention that the battery is new and reportedly putting out at least 14v, that the front brakes were replaced, with rotors, 5 days before the problem started and that I've had 3 Amigos on for several years because a sensor got wet but I don't do any downhill off road driving so a trusted rover friend (now retired...a sad loss) told me to ignore the 3 Amigos.

@dzm, you might want to start a separate thread for this...

It sounds like you may have more than thing going on here. Was the repair shop you took it to one that specializes in Rovers? If not, then I'd suggest getting the truck out of the dealer's shop and finding a good independent Rover mechanic.

What made the mechanic think the problem wasn't the Crank Position Sensor? Stalling out after the truck has warmed up and then not restarting until it has cooled down a little sounds like a pretty classic CrPS failure.

Also, the flashing S&M lights could be a symptom of the battery being drained, and the hesitation might be a symptom of the dead battery causing the transmission to slip in to limp-in mode, but that's just a guess on my part. Has the alternator been checked to confirm it is charging the new battery?

Like I said up earlier, get it to a good Rover mechanic and see what he says. It would be a shame to see a good truck end up in a boneyard over something that could be as simple as a CrPS, starter, and a bad alternator...

Old 08-11-2011, 10:47 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dzm

you have multiple problems. First off don't go to the dealer. Where do you live? you need to find an independent mechanic or start working on the truck yourself. The 3 amigos light can be read by am RSW Solutions ABS Amigo, some people on the forum rent them out new they cost $200. If you plan on keeping this truck I would buy one it will save you a lot off money and hassle of having to have the ABS system diagnosed. Is your check engine light on? As for the problem craking it sounds like the the crank position sensor is shot. and after beating up the starter i wouldnt be surprised if you killed that too. Even if you are not handy with a wrench the starter is good way to start getting familiar with your truck. It is 3 bolts holding it on and two electrical connections and it is off.

The starter is $116 from Rock Auto, so I don't think $900 in labor is fair from the dealer. But that is up to you to decide.

The Crank Position Sensor is $70. Another easy fix.

If you have not already go download the RAVE manual so you can figure out most of this on your own. Download is here http://www.landroverresource.com/doc...hop_Manual.pdf

So for under $200 you can have your truck running again. If you want it running properly you will need to get that ABS code read and get the hub or ABS sensor or shuttle valves replaced. Dependent of course on what has failed.

PS: from now on start a new thread when you have a problem and put your truck info in your signature.