hard shift into 2nd then flashing m and s flashing D and red shift lights - Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:55 AM

Default hard shift into 2nd then flashing m and s flashing D and red shift lights

Hi folks! I have a 2000 disco 2 with 117k. Runs beautifully, never abused. When I start out it revs a little high before slamming into 2nd. Then the m and s lights, D, and red lights on shifter flash for the rest of the journey. All reset afrer turning it off. This happens every time I drive it. I would live some advice. Please help!
Old 09-25-2014, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by importdave View Post
Hi folks! I have a 2000 disco 2 with 117k. Runs beautifully, never abused. When I start out it revs a little high before slamming into 2nd. Then the m and s lights, D, and red lights on shifter flash for the rest of the journey. All reset afrer turning it off. This happens every time I drive it. I would live some advice. Please help!
Sounds like the xyz selector switch on the autobox gone wrong.

There's plenty of threads on the forum about it if you use the search. Have a browse of the RAVE manual also.

Whilst the lights are flashing normally you are stuck in third (get you home) gear totally. When you turn off the ignition sometimes it will reset but always returns quickly.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:12 AM

have you checked the fluid?
Old 09-25-2014, 10:50 AM

Before I try anything else I will change the fluid and filter. I don't know the service history on this truck. I'm reading a lot about the xyz switch and just preparing in case I need one. It looks easy to change. But i do see the manual showing a tool used to position the selector shaft. I'm wondering if I can get the job done without the tool?
Old 09-25-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by importdave View Post
Before I try anything else I will change the fluid and filter. I don't know the service history on this truck. I'm reading a lot about the xyz switch and just preparing in case I need one. It looks easy to change. But i do see the manual showing a tool used to position the selector shaft. I'm wondering if I can get the job done without the tool?
The xyz switch is repairable you need some M5x15mm long screws (I recollect) and lock nuts first to replace the rivets that you'll need to drill out carefully, best is stainless screws. Full repair procedure is online in Aulro forum plus piccies. Have fun

The resetting tool isn't necessary provided the same switch goes back in exactly the same position so ensure you mark the position before removal. It takes about an hour or two plus the repair time, all up, say half a day. Penetrating oil is good first the day before.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:18 PM

Thanks! I plan to inspect and clean it. I scanned the codes and came up with p0722 output speed sensor circuit open. I'm wondering if those are servicible too??