Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF Readings (attn ultragauge people)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MAF Readings (attn ultragauge people)

While I wait for my new MAF to get here I was wondering what everyone else gets under "normal" usage for their AF readings? My current one at idle sits around 10 g/s, the most I can get under high load is around 30g/s. My truck is still running like garbage, misfiring on every cylinder, and getting really annoying. What are your readings?

Old 11-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Go to the Rave manual and it will give you the range of signals you should expect.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:00 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Go to the Rave manual and it will give you the range of signals you should expect.
I've seen it in there, it tells me what the voltage should be for a reading but not what the typical reading should be. I'm wondering if my numbers are typical not if they're possible.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I think I get 20 at idle when viewed from my hawkeye.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:30 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

There is no such thing as a typical reading, it is all based on air volume and bar numbers.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
There is no such thing as a typical reading, it is all based on air volume and bar numbers.
There is a fixed amount of space in the cylinders. Sure the numbers will vary depending on altitude, temperature, and barometric pressure... but I bet you can still get a ball park idea.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:20 PM
Rock Crawling

I understand that readings have a number of factors but if my numbers are wildly different than others under the same circumstances (ie I get 10 vs you get 60 at idle) then I'll know something is up.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

Do you have a 4.0 or a 4.6?

Old 11-06-2012, 11:21 PM
Rock Crawling

Its a 2000 I have the 4.0 lately my readings in the very cold have been around 6g/s at idle. If physics serves me right and the number went down when cold (vs 10 in warmer weather) then in fact it is going backwards. Denser air should mean more air per unit volume so the number should go up in colder weather, especially since the engine should idle higher in cooler weather until warm.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:59 AM
Rock Crawling

Just replaced my MAF today, running like the day it rolled off the line (probably not but you get the idea).

Now on to the following:

-replace my radiator hoses since the bleed screw cracked the other day and sprayed coolant everywhere. It is currently held together by jamming a bolt in the hose and wrapping an entire roll of electrical tape around it. Need to switch from orange to green while i'm at it as well.

-Replace drivers side mirror glass because some a-hole was too impatient to wait for a car to pass and clipped it. Thank you Mrs. Garbage Driver for not leaving ins info I hope you have a newer vehicle and your plastic mirror shattered into a million pieces and it'll cost you hundreds of $$$ to fix

-replace my air box lid. The PO some how melted the top part of the part where it connects to the MAF, I suspect there may have been a vac leak due to an old O-ring (replaced when I replaced MAF), and the melted part. It should be better now but not perfect by a long shot.

-Fix my ACE. I had a constant amber light on my ace and had it cleared at a indy shop but since then it comes on when really cold or occasionally after being on the road for a while. I can hear it working when the light is off as it clunks really loud when going over bumps or cornering, I suspect the actuator is not bolted on tight but need to look into it. Still not entirely sure what makes it come on when it does though.

-clean my engine. due to the amount of grime over years and the recent fun with it giving itself a coolant bath, it needs it.

-Fix intermittent 3 amigos. They like to come on randomly and disappear on restart (most of the time)

Quick Reply: MAF Readings (attn ultragauge people)