Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018 | 09:38 AM
|
TReK
Default MAF Sensor

Hey Guys,

I am thinking about replacing my MAF as I have change a bunch of sensors, and the one I have has 80k on it.

Has anyone had luck with the brands other than Bosch? I have read just to use Bosch, but they seem real expensive, so I want to make sure it is worth the extra cash.

tony

Old 01-10-2018 | 09:39 AM
TReK

I tried a non-Bosch one. Right out of the box it threw the same codes as the dead one it replaced. I bought a Bosch and everything was good with the world.

The following users liked this post:
CollieRover (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018 | 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

I've used a few Delphi ones with zero issues on some customer P38/D2's. On some D2 setups where the MAF has gone completely mental it sometimes isn't as easy as just replacing the MAF. It "sometimes" requires the Adaptive Settings to be reset, but it just depends.

I grab a lot of used MAF's from junk yards for $10.00 and so far I've only had one be DOA and I had a 3 month warranty so I just went back and grabbed another one for free. I don't grab the entire housing just the MAF itself.

The following 2 users liked this post by Best4x4:
JUKE179r (01-10-2018), Lisa Bunch (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018 | 03:41 PM

VDO Bosch or Siemens, the aftermarket ones are usually rubbish, if they work at all it won't be for very long, buy it once and buy Bosch they are the DB's.

Old 01-10-2018 | 05:41 PM
|
TReK

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
VDO Bosch or Siemens, the aftermarket ones are usually rubbish, if they work at all it won't be for very long, buy it once and buy Bosch they are the DB's.
OK guys tell me if I am being an idiot.When I first had my Turner I drove it out to Steamboat Springs and back. I remember getting 18mph on the highway. Now, maybe that is just wishful thinking, but it is what I remember.The highway mpg has seemed to drop over time. Now I am getting about 15mph.I keep my tires at recommended psi. I use premium gas, and frequently put through Seafoam and other products. I’ve only done one induction cleaning.The spark plugs are new NGK Iridium, wires are new Kingsborne 8mm, and Coils are brand new as well.The MAF has 70k or so miles on it. Am I wrong to want to try a new MAF? It is not throwing any codes.

Old 01-10-2018 | 05:49 PM
Pro Wrench

Just curious, why not clean the MAF and see if you notice any difference?

Old 01-10-2018 | 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

I’d personally have the Adaptive settings reset & then drive it like ya stole it for a drive cycle or two. It’ll then store the new readings. We used to clear it all the time at the LR Dealership after a tune up or fuel system treatment with a T4.

Last edited by Best4x4; 01-10-2018 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-10-2018 | 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by CollieRover
OK guys tell me if I am being an idiot.When I first had my Turner I drove it out to Steamboat Springs and back. I remember getting 18mph on the highway. Now, maybe that is just wishful thinking, but it is what I remember.The highway mpg has seemed to drop over time. Now I am getting about 15mph.I keep my tires at recommended psi. I use premium gas, and frequently put through Seafoam and other products. I’ve only done one induction cleaning.The spark plugs are new NGK Iridium, wires are new Kingsborne 8mm, and Coils are brand new as well.The MAF has 70k or so miles on it. Am I wrong to want to try a new MAF? It is not throwing any codes.
Hi Collie, I am certainly no expert on the Rover 4.6 V8 engine but IMHO I reckon you have another issue dragging your mpg's down. I assume you mean't mpg's not mph. There is a simple resistance test for MAF's

I cannot verify the provenance of this vid but can only assume it's correct but he did test the cable second to last as a negative not positive.

I am certain some of the guys on the forum know more than I do but suspect it's not the MAF at fault.

PS: I hate seeing people waste money on unnecessary parts so worth getting another opinion on this one.

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 01-10-2018 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-10-2018 | 07:32 PM
|
TReK

Originally Posted by Best4x4
I’d personally have the Adaptive settings reset & then drive it like ya stole it for a drive cycle or two. It’ll then store the new readings. We used to clear it all the time at the LR Dealership after a tune up or fuel system treatment with a T4.
I will have to look into that. I have an Autocom, but not sure it can do that.I have seen the post where someone says to leave the positive and negative battery terminals touching overnight to reset all of the settings. Is that foolishness?

Last edited by CollieRover; 01-10-2018 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-10-2018 | 07:32 PM
|
TReK

Originally Posted by Friday Night Disco
Just curious, why not clean the MAF and see if you notice any difference?
I’ve heard cleaning the MAF kills them.

Quick Reply: MAF Sensor