Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018 | 07:35 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by CollieRover
I’ve heard cleaning the MAF kills them.
Cleaning the MAF wont kill it. I'm still running on the original. Just saturate it with the cleaner, let it drip and make sure its completely dry before you install it.

Old 01-10-2018 | 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Yep originals on all my LR's at the moment, I just have plenty of spares lol.

One D2 I owned for a very short time (wasn't the D2 for me) wouldn't idle for it's life, and plenty of MAF codes along with O2 fault codes. I slapped on a good replacement MAF and the idle raced to nearly 2K, I didn't have access to a T4 and I was able to trick the ECU into adjusting to the new MAF settings by driving it vs letting it sit at idle. It doesn't always work and it's a 50/50 shot vs just using a T4 to reset the Adaptive Settings.

It idled fine after I swapped it out, but upon inspecting the original I pulled out it was covered in K&N Filter oil (previous owner must have had one before I bought it). I cleaned it with the MAF cleaner and got it to work well after that so before I sold that D2 I swapped in the original and the idle was perfect with zero fault codes.

Cleaning it is certainly worth a shot. Just use the MAF spray and make sure to let it fully dry before running the D2.

Old 01-11-2018 | 03:15 PM
|
TReK

I was able to clear my Transmission Adaptive settings with my Autocom, but not the engine settings.

Old 01-11-2018 | 07:00 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
Cleaning the MAF wont kill it. I'm still running on the original. Just saturate it with the cleaner, let it drip and make sure its completely dry before you install it.
Every 6 months, I spray CRC QD electronic cleaner to saturate the MAF sensor filaments, let it dry and then reinstall. The MAF is still working fine with no problems.

Old 01-11-2018 | 08:39 PM
Pro Wrench

Now I am getting about 15mph.
18 sounds like a near D2 record from my reading and was likely a wet dream or computer fart or brain fart if you do your own computation. I'd love to see 15 during my mostly rural driving. Will have a cleaning in my future as suggested. Is a quality contact cleaner good/OK to use? Thanks.

Old 01-12-2018 | 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by CollieRover
I’ve heard cleaning the MAF kills them.
You are correct Collie, if it doesn't kill it now the lifespan will be shortened. Many will disagree, but hey ho, I've seen it happen far too often. If the MAF flunks and is disconnected the ECU goes into a 'default' mode. Maybe many don't recognise this and keep driving instead. Rejuvenating a MAF is like trying to revive a 90 year old dead person after a few hours, wasting your time.

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 01-12-2018 at 01:36 AM.
Old 01-12-2018 | 02:48 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Rejuvenating a MAF is like trying to revive a 90 year old dead person after a few hours, wasting your time.
Are you suggesting not offering you help if seen disabled on the side of a road?

Old 01-12-2018 | 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by number9
Are you suggesting not offering you help if seen disabled on the side of a road?
No, no, I always offer to drag em off the road by their feet, do ya think I'm heartless

Old 01-12-2018 | 08:18 AM
|
TReK

Originally Posted by number9
18 sounds like a near D2 record from my reading and was likely a wet dream or computer fart or brain fart if you do your own computation. I'd love to see 15 during my mostly rural driving. Will have a cleaning in my future as suggested. Is a quality contact cleaner good/OK to use? Thanks.
That is what was registered on my scangauge, and calculations have proven accurate for it. It was through Nebraska etc. so very flat, and that could explain it.I can’t advise on cleaning the MAF, never done it.

Old 01-12-2018 | 09:39 AM
|
TReK

I hooked up the Autocom and checked Fuel Trim. Both Banks Short term Fuel Trim is 0, Long tern is -6.2 on Bank 1 and -7.0 on Bank 2.

http://www.easterncatalytic.com/educ...agnostic-tool/

Based on this article it is running rich during closed loop operation. 6.2 and 7% seem pretty high. I am going to try the disconnect battery and hold terminals together to reset the adaptive settings. I will see if it works. May or may not. There is a post from way back on this procedure. I have not been able to find a shop willing to just plug in and reset them for me here.

I am chickening out from touching the battery cables together. I am going to monitor the Trims and see if they trend either direction.

Last edited by CollieRover; 01-12-2018 at 12:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (01-12-2018)

Quick Reply: MAF Sensor