Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maintenance question

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2020, 01:31 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Maintenance question

I’ve a 2000 Disco 2 with 152K milieus and own the iLAND diagnostic. I bought it when it first came out and had issues with using my iPhone. Since then updates and using an Android Tablet it seems to work well.
Now to the questions at hand. I have some issues with the Evap positive pressure test system. I’m in the process of smoke testing the system and will make the needed repairs of which I’ve already bought parts. I replaced the gas cap already. Anyway it’s not an issue as I will find the leak first then the repair as well as lines and other parts. But first I must find the leak.
I also had a few spark plug wires defective so a new NGK set has been ordered. My plugs are all burning well. I’ve bought and replacing the O2 sensors, coil packs, some vacuum lines, and a few other items. I’m going to relocate the coil pack. Which brings me to the question at hand.
I installed a new water pump last year with all new hoses, expansion bottle (and cap), thermostat housing, and converted over to HOAT coolant. My radiator fan is now electrical with thermostat. With all the things I’m replacing I thought maybe I should go ahead and do head gaskets. I don’t have the sleeve slippage. So I’m not sure I want to push my luck and wake the sleeping giant. That my question. I only added this other information to show the work I’m currently doing and some of the reasons why.

The following users liked this post:
Wheelspin (12-26-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 02:04 PM
Received 1,148 Likes on 794 Posts

Why do you want to do the head gaskets,if there are no issues leave them be. The theory would be that by doing them you forestall a failure but you are opening a can of worms. i fryou engine is running well and cool leave it be

Old 12-20-2020, 02:11 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
Why do you want to do the head gaskets,if there are no issues leave them be. The theory would be that by doing them you forestall a failure but you are opening a can of worms. i fryou engine is running well and cool leave it be
yes I agree but I wanted to ask what others thought as to is I was just being paranoid about changing them.

Old 12-20-2020, 02:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

I’m all about preventative maintenance especially on a 20 year truck with possibly 20 year old parts (gaskets/seals/hoses) that will eventually fail.
Become “one” with your truck and just do it to give your Disco another 20 years of life.

Old 12-20-2020, 02:45 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by JUKE179r
I’m all about preventative maintenance especially on a 20 year truck with possibly 20 year old parts (gaskets/seals/hoses) that will eventually fail.
Become “one” with your truck and just do it to give your Disco another 20 years of life.
I’m torn between doing the head gaskets and fearing the worst by doing so.

Old 12-20-2020, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

HG job on a LR V8 is not hard. It just has to be done properly and it should last you a good bit as long as you keep your LR V8 happy and cool.

Old 12-20-2020, 03:59 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Best4x4
HG job on a LR V8 is not hard. It just has to be done properly and it should last you a good bit as long as you keep your LR V8 happy and cool.
for the Disco 2 who makes the best head gasket set? I’ve owned a number of 4WD’s over the years and it seems there is a preference over others depending on the vehicle.

Old 12-20-2020, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Brand hasn't been an issue for me HG wise. Lucky8 kit is about the best deal out there vs say victor reinz kits which tend to be much more. Or grab a kit from Rovers North/Atlantic British.

Old 12-20-2020, 05:25 PM
Received 1,148 Likes on 794 Posts

If you go this route have your heads checked and trued, if you are looking for ARP studs let me know I am pulling from a 4.6 only a few months old.

Old 12-20-2020, 05:33 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,036 Posts

You should sign up for mycarfax.com (free) and look at the service history. Very low probability at 152k that your truck has the original head gaskets. If they have already been changed they should be good for another 100k miles, particularly since you have changed the rest of the cooling system. You can also lay under the truck and look up at the engine, if the heads are clean and the block is oily, they have likely been changed. Third option, there is a small spot where you can actually see the headgaskets from above, if you can take a high resolution photo and post it I can tell you if they are OEM LR or previously replaced.

Either way I would not change the HG until needed.

The following 2 users liked this post by Extinct:
The Deputy (01-01-2021), Wheelspin (12-26-2020)

Quick Reply: Maintenance question