Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 01:40 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major Coolant Leak

Hello all,
I notice that I have a major coolant leak on my 04 Discovery II. I took a picture of it and am attaching. Curious to see if I can do this repair myself since I recently got the manual and tools and don't have much mechanical experience but am a quick learner. When the engine is running, the hose seemed to be sticking out more than the picture shows and coolant was gushing out. Thanks for your input and suggestions.
Reza

Attached Thumbnails Major Coolant Leak-lr.jpg  
Old 02-13-2014, 03:41 PM
Three Wheeling

Yes, the various small coolant lines on these trucks are brittle and prone to breaking. My suggestion is to replace these plastic lines with hose... You'll have much better results. Find the right size hose at the auto parts store, then buy the whole spool and replace them all. It's an easy mod that will save a lot of headache.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:01 PM
Overlanding

Thanks....can u tell me from the pic where this particular line is connected to. I'm trying to reference it in the manual to know where to start.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:10 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

unless your sure it one of the throttle body heater line, you should use a pressure tester BECAUSE that is were most timing chain cover tend to leak.at the top of the engine under the ac or alt.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:36 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The 3/4"dia metal line where you show "LEAK" is the supply to the heater core. It is held in place by a 6mm bolt and has an o-ring on the pipe which seals inside the lower manifold. It should be a tight fit pushing it in. If your bolt is intact and tight, then you have an o-ring problem or the metal pipe is damaged.

Last edited by Shade Tree; 02-17-2014 at 07:30 AM. Reason: "Lower Manifold"
Old 02-14-2014, 12:03 PM
Three Wheeling

If the black plastic line that you mention leaking is indeed the one leaking which is the line running under the throttle cables in the picture. That runs between the the throttle body and the coolant reservoir. This line is easily replaced with higher quality hose and clamps as i mentioned earlier.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:50 AM
Overlanding

So the O ring was the problem as Shade Tree diagosed. It was basically vaporized when I got the pipe. I installed new O Ring, put everything back together....no more leak BUT I still can't get my heater to warm up? Any ideas?

Thanks
Reza

Old 03-15-2014, 10:57 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

You probably need to follow the proper coolant bleed procedure which includes lifting the overflow tank out of its location and holding it as high as the hoses will allow, while at the same time opening the bleed screw on the T connection at the top of the radiator.

This is done with the engine cold, not running, not warm.

keep putting coolant into the reservoir until a steady stream comes out the bleed screw, then close off the bleed screw (without over-tightening.) Then top reservoir to the fill line.

Since you opened the system at the heater core air got in at that point.

It may take a few times doing this.

drive truck afterward, turn heat up, allow full circulation of system.

wait until engine is completely cold again and repeat bleed procedure as needed.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:36 AM
Overlanding

Ill try that now. Thanks

Old 03-16-2014, 06:15 AM
Overlanding

Worked. Thanks for the great advice.

Reza

Quick Reply: Major Coolant Leak