Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major Service - Questions/Clarification

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 10:22 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major Service - Questions/Clarification

Hi All,

I'm looking for some clarification on a few items that Disco Mike discusses in his recommended Major Service post.
  1. Lucas additives: When i got to the auto parts store I got confused, because there are leak stop additives and also conditioner additives for the various categories he recommends we use. Which is the right one?
  2. 80/90W Synthetic Gear Oil: Any recommendations on where to buy the synthetic variety? My O'Reilly store didn't have it.
  3. Rotella T6 Oil: I live in Houston, TX and anticipate a hot summer. Will the T6 be ok in this climate, or should I go for the conventional Rotella T 15W-40?

I realize I'm probably going to reignite a controversy over oil choice with that last question, but I'm not so much looking for a confirmation that the T6 is ok as I am looking to make sure it will be ok in extremely hot south TX summer weather.

Thanks for the input!

Old 06-16-2015, 06:12 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just gathered most of the things on his list to do the services. It's a great list and extremely helpful, but I was scratching my head when looking for some of the items too.

1. The Lucas Transmission Additive: I thought the same thing when I saw in big lettering that it stops leaks - since I don't have any transmission leaks. But, if you read on the bottle more, it has a ton of stuff in it that should help with lubrication and wear, etc. So I'm guessing he meant this and if I am wrong someone will correct me:

Amazon.com: Lucas 10009 Transmission Fix 24 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Lucas 10009 Transmission Fix 24 oz.: Automotive

2. I went with the 80/90w that Mike recommended for normal use. Since I saw that he recommended Valvoline for the ATF fluid, I went with Valvoline for the gear oil as well which is said to be a synthetic blend. I'm going to look into it more on here first just to make sure, but I think it'll be great.

3. I live in NY and use Rotella T 15w-40 in the summer. I chose this after reading many threads on here about oils. There's a good chance I may switch to T6 during the winter months or just to try it, but I am definitely happy with the T 15w-40.

As with anything that you're going to put into this truck, read plenty of threads on here, and then read plenty of reviews of the products on the websites you buy from to make sure that you'll get what they are saying you will get and that no one has had issues with the product - whether they have rovers or not. I plan on doing all the servicing Mike listed this week sometime. A lot of these things I looked up on Amazon after looking up on here just to see the reviews. I hope this helps, good luck!

P.s. If you still have Dexcool in your truck, get it out asap. Use Peak Gold.