Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making sure I buy right and do proper preventive maintenance when I buy another Disco

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 09:10 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making sure I buy right and do proper preventive maintenance when I buy another Disco

I have found a couple Disco 2's I am interested in. I really want to do a better job buying this time. I am mostly looking at 2003 and 2004's. I plan on having a mechanic look at it first this time. Testing the engine and coolant system. Once I find one and it passes as sound I would like to do any preventive maintenance I could to keep that engine healthy.

So first I was going to do the major service sticky from Disco Mike.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...service-29020/

I also know to look for serviceable u-joints. If not there yet then I would do that right away.

But I would also like to do any preventive maintenance possible to the engine to address engine issues.

I understand anything can happen but I would like to get the vehicle and myself the best chance possible for being sound.

So what replace oil pump?
Throttle body heater gasket?
Head gaskets?

Would those actions help deter the engine issues that popup?

Old 12-03-2014, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

sure oil pump is good Idea on aging engine. pancake adapter and supplemental oil pressure gauge is great idea too. you can see where you are at with psi, not just relying on that little light to say uh oh you have no pressure.

tbh is another, but it is literally a 5 minute bypass solution if it starts leaking. a couple of hose clamps and a horseshoe bend in a small length of 1/4" copper pipe gets it done. so I would say those 3 tiny items in the toolbox and you can get down the road till your tbh gaskets arrive. (I am in north texas, mine has been bypassed for years, your climate is not much different)

head gaskets as preventative seems a little presumptuous, to me. yes they will fail. but when? usually around 100k + or - intervals. but the majority of hg failure is a slow weep at the back of the heads. this "usual lrv8 deterioration" gives you warning and you can set aside a weekend, accordingly. I say "majority" and "usually", but anything is possible and all of that is out the window if your engine has been overheated. you can blow a new head gasket just the same with a little overheating. I would be more apt to check out cooling system and update as preventative maintenance and pressure test to make sure the current gasket is not leaking, first. info on when/if they were done prior is also a good bonus. i view it as a consumable

Last edited by dusty1; 12-03-2014 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:13 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Everything Dusty said is the truth. The tbh is not a big deal. I live in the SW corner of Virginia where it will get pretty cold. I've had mine bypassed for a while now and I've never had a problem.

Head gaskets. Yea, they are going to fail eventually, but you can wait if it's more convenient for you. However, if you have the money and time, I would say to just get them out of the way. If you've got or are getting close to 120k+, I would do cam/lifters at the same time, but that is dependent on budget. And be sure to pin the cylinder liners while you're in there just to be safe.

Oil pump is always a good idea on an older vehicle. I should've done mine while I had everything torn apart, but I didn't have $10 to spare in my budget.

As well as all that, I would do all 4 new O2 sensors and a new MAF. New sensors never hurt anybody.

If you're going to off roading it, just look at '04s or '03s with the locking transfer case installed unless you want to install it yourself later.

Also check all the joints and rubber pieces. Tie rod ends, ball joints, rubber bushings, rotoflex, etc. Chances are you wont find one that doesn't need some of that stuff, but be ready to do it relatively soon.

Also check out the viscous fan. It may need replacing, it may not. The fan clutches wear out after a while. Mine is actually fine, but I'm going to be converting it to a couple of electric fans with a custom shroud relatively soon anyway.

That is all the stuff I would do if I were buying another one now. Some people say I'm too protective of my vehicles and so unnecessary maintenence, but I don't see my vehicles breaking down as often as other people's either.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:37 AM
Mudding

Why wife and I are planning on moving to Ouray CO next summer. A bit colder there. With that being true would I still risk the tbh bypass?

I hear you on the coollent system. I did not recognize or understand this when I bought my first disco. It had been over heated and patched together. Was a disaster.

No idea if I could afford to do cam/lifters and pin the cylinders right off the bat. Any idea what that is running these days? Ballpark?

Old 12-03-2014, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by vishrb
Why wife and I are planning on moving to Ouray CO next summer. A bit colder there. With that being true would I still risk the tbh bypass?
still fine to keep a bypass set up in the box. if it starts to leak, bypass, order kit and get to it when you can. btw Ouray is beautiful country

I hear you on the coollent system. I did not recognize or understand this when I bought my first disco. It had been over heated and patched together. Was a disaster.

so with that knowledge, make it priority over replacing head gaskets.

No idea if I could afford to do cam/lifters and pin the cylinders right off the bat. Any idea what that is running these days? Ballpark?
cam/lifters are great, but to gain performance not reliability. better option is to do that when you have to do head gaskets or other stuff that gets you in there already(as stated above). parts less than $500. I view the pinned liners as repair item. it is an economical solution to slipped liner, but if it isn't knocking, I wouldn't start drilling. if it comes to that, then look at the option, or either top hat liners or another block.

Last edited by dusty1; 12-03-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:16 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

I plan on having a mechanic look at it first this time. everything after that was just speculation, until it have been properly inspected

Old 12-03-2014, 12:32 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by drowssap
I plan on having a mechanic look at it first this time. everything after that was just speculation, until it have been properly inspected
I understand. I was just trying to plan out what I can do if the mechanic says that it is currently sound I can keep it that way.

I loved the truck. Just want to do it right this time.

Robert

Old 12-03-2014, 03:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

If cam and lifters aren't in your budget and the head gaskets aren't leaking then I'd say leave all that be. Keep you tbh bypass kit in your toolbox along with a gallon of oil and a gallon of pre-mixed green antifreeze. Start with the recommended tune up in the sticky along with the O2s and MAF. Also buy three bottles of seafood. Dump half a bottle in your engine oil and run it there for 500 miles, then change the oil and filter. Run the other two bottles through your gas, one per tank for the first two tanks. After that I'd do it in your gas every other month.

Save up for the head gaskets, cam, and lifters. They won't be cheap, especially if you pay someone else to do them, and you will need them at some point.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:25 PM
Mudding
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Might consider a 180 degree thermostat to keep it running cooler. And a scangauge to evaluate the cooling system.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:33 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Alex_M
If cam and lifters aren't in your budget and the head gaskets aren't leaking then I'd say leave all that be. Keep you tbh bypass kit in your toolbox along with a gallon of oil and a gallon of pre-mixed green antifreeze. Start with the recommended tune up in the sticky along with the O2s and MAF. Also buy three bottles of seafood. Dump half a bottle in your engine oil and run it there for 500 miles, then change the oil and filter. Run the other two bottles through your gas, one per tank for the first two tanks. After that I'd do it in your gas every other month.

Save up for the head gaskets, cam, and lifters. They won't be cheap, especially if you pay someone else to do them, and you will need them at some point.
Seems reasonable. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Making sure I buy right and do proper preventive maintenance when I buy another Disco