Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manually opening sunroof.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 03:08 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manually opening sunroof.

Hi. I am trying to manually open my sunroof using the hex key.

I can't seem to figure out if turning hex key to the right or left would open the Sunroof. It seems stuck either way and i dont want to force it.

If anyone knows which direction pls. advice and thanks for the assistance.

Gerard
Chicago
Disco Series 2 year 2000

Old 07-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If it is closed and not leaking leave well enough alone.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:54 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I agree, depending on what is wrong with the roof, you may get it open and not be able to close it.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:25 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the concerns about opening or not the sunroof but both replies still does not help. I still need to know which direction to turn it for opening the roof. I am opening to blow out the drain tubes to remove the clogs in the tube.

Pls. Advice.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:20 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

THe drain tubes are not used if the roof is closed, so I'm not sure why you are concerned with doing that for a roof that doesn't open properly.

I've only had to open one manually once. I don't recall what direction you turn it in, but I do know that it took very little torque. If you are worried about how much torque you're putting on there, your roof is off the track or the cable drive is messed up. Listen to what people are saying: you run a very real risk of not being able to get it closed again, and for no benefit at all.

If the motors are good, you should be able to pick up a sunroof from a scrap yard pretty inexpensively. You'll have the drop the headliner to replace it, but if you want them to work, it's do able.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:40 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Actually the drain tubes work if the roof is open or not.
If you have never cleaned out your drain tubes, I would suggest you don't blow them out, that will usually only cause a bigger leak to happen at the junction box.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:48 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Actually the drain tubes work if the roof is open or not.
Since when? Since your sunroof seals went bad?

Because when the roof is closed, water should not be going between the glass and seal. The drain is below that.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by DarylJ
Since when? Since your sunroof seals went bad?

Because when the roof is closed, water should not be going between the glass and seal. The drain is below that.
When the sunroof is closed, the seals will block most of the water, but some will get past. That is why the drain tubes are there. If the drain tubes were only needed when the sunroof was open, what would be the point? If it's raining, and your sunroof is open, your interior is going to get wet, regardless of whether your drain tubes are clogged or clear.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:28 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
When the sunroof is closed, the seals will block most of the water, but some will get past. That is why the drain tubes are there. If the drain tubes were only needed when the sunroof was open, what would be the point? If it's raining, and your sunroof is open, your interior is going to get wet, regardless of whether your drain tubes are clogged or clear.
Wow...unbelievable.

Just go close a sunroof with a good seal, run a hose on top of it and check for yourself. If the seal is good, there shouldn't be any water getting in. This isn't even a rover thing. This is how sunroofs are supposed to work. If you're leaking into the channels, your seal is beat. Or your roof isn't closing hard enough.

The channels are there for two reasons: once your selas get beat, and for when you have it open when there is water on the car and driving will blow it back or when it is flipped open and raining. No, you won't get water into your car with the roof just flipped up unless it is quite windy and really, really raining. If you are, you have drain problems.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
Exactly.

Quick Reply: Manually opening sunroof.