Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MARK4WD Engine Conversion Kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 07:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Default MARK4WD Engine Conversion Kit

I just picked up a 93 Disco with a bad motor. Otherwise in great shape. My daughter keeps nagging me about getting her one because she likes mine.

I found the website for Mark4WD conversion kit for a chevy V6. Has anybody tried one of these? I have a motor already so thought this would be best option.

Land Rover V8 Engine Conversion Kits using the Chevy V6 & V8 Engine

Old 06-08-2016, 08:00 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 966 Likes on 643 Posts

The kit is quite well produced from what I've heard, and a V6 conversion would be sweet. However, you'll need a way to control the transmission. That's where the Ashcroft Compushift comes in, and not at any small price. That is, unless you have a manual transmission or would be open to doing a manual swap.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:30 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Read this before sending your money down under.... https://discoweb.org/forums/showthre...ighlight=mongo

Old 06-08-2016, 09:30 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

I should chime in because I've talked to them recently.

Marks makes great stuff. Expensive, even when you convert Australian dollars to real ones (about 71 to 72 percent). They make it on order so it takes months (they don't tell you that on the phone). The shipping is outrageous. You have to call at about 11pm to get them on the phone. Ask for Nick, he is the land Rover guy. If you email, they only have one email address and it takes about 2 weeks to get a response; they usually answer half of your questions. They will want you to get an expensive kit. I've read that if you can talk an Australian into getting the goods for you, the price is about half. That's irritating.

A bellhousing adapter is not the big deal. They don't have to be precise except for the bolt holes. You can make one. The magic is the crank connection to flexplate or clutch. Other have made their own crank adapters but you have to expand your search to Chevy diesel conversions That has to be very precise and normal people can't make one. Engine mounts can be bought here. No use buying American parts from an Australian supplier. Marks Web site doesn't have most of their offerings and the descriptions/prices are not clear.

Advance Adapters sells Marks goods. They reportedly don't know much about them; they just sell them.

Unless I misread you have a hydraulic transmission or manual, so a controller shouldn't be an issue, should it? I may be missing something there.

I drove my Disco II (electronic transmission) around with the TPS disconnected, it works. M/S flashes and none of the fancy hill descent works, and it shifts at about 2100 every time, and there is no timing retard so the shifts are firm, but you can go through all of the gears. A compushift controller is the bees knees, but about 1200 bucks.

There is a thread by a forum member who put a Chevy 4.3 (v8 not v6) in his Disco II and a YouTube video to prove it. IMHO a basic v8 with the same firing order is the way to go because you can use your truck's own ignition system and other electronics.

I have also personally seen a mervedes om617 (diesel) swap into a Disco I. Very nice. Imagine 27 mpg running on half diesel, half free waste oil from a transmission shop. Like getting 54 miles per gallon with an engine that can easily go 500000 miles and be repaired with a screw driver and chewing gum.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 06-08-2016 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:31 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

A d1 should be a hydraulic shifted unit
Originally Posted by Charlie_V
I should chime in because I've talked to them recently.

Marks makes great stuff. Expensive, even when you convert Australian dollars to real ones (about 71 to 72 percent). They make it on order so it takes months (they don't tell you that on the phone). The shipping is outrageous. You have to call at about 11pm to get them on the phone. Ask for Nick, he is the land Rover guy. If you email, they only have one email address and it takes about 2 weeks to get a response; they usually answer half of your questions. They will want you to get an expensive kit. I've read that if you can talk an Australian into getting the goods for you, the price is about half. That's irritating.

A bellhousing adapter is not the big deal. They don't have to be precise except for the bolt holes. You can make one. The magic is the crank connection to flexplate or clutch. Other have made their own crank adapters but you have to expand your search to Chevy diesel conversions That has to be very precise and normal people can't make one. Engine mounts can be bought here. No use buying American parts from an Australian supplier. Marks Web site doesn't have most of their offerings and the descriptions/prices are not clear.

Advance Adapters sells Marks goods. They reportedly don't know much about them; they just sell them.

Unless I misread you have a hydraulic transmission or manual, so a controller shouldn't be an issue, should it? I may be missing something there.

I drove my Disco II (electronic transmission) around with the TPS disconnected, it works. M/S flashes and none of the fancy hill descent works, and it shifts at about 2100 every time, and there is no timing retard so the shifts are firm, but you can go through all of the gears. A compushift controller is the bees knees, but about 1200 bucks.

There is a thread by a forum member who put a Chevy 4.3 (v8 not v6) in his Disco II and a YouTube video to prove it. IMHO a basic v8 with the same firing order is the way to go because you can use your truck's own ignition system and other electronics.

I have also personally seen a mervedes om617 (diesel) swap into a Disco I. Very nice. Imagine 27 mpg running on half diesel, half free waste oil from a transmission shop. Like getting 54 miles per gallon with an engine that can easily go 500000 miles and be repaired with a screw driver and chewing gum.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default Wrong year

Sorry. Fat fingers. Its an 03 Disco not 93. Anyway am going with a manual trans so no shifting problems. I read the thread from the other forum and think that guy may not be a real problem solver. I did confirm that Advance Adapters sells them with no wait time as mentioned above. I intend to call them or Marks4WD to see if they can confirm U.S. fit.

Thanks all.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:40 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by zuke
Sorry. Fat fingers. Its an 03 Disco not 93. Anyway am going with a manual trans so no shifting problems. I read the thread from the other forum and think that guy may not be a real problem solver. I did confirm that Advance Adapters sells them with no wait time as mentioned above. I intend to call them or Marks4WD to see if they can confirm U.S. fit.

Thanks all.
It is going to work. If I had a complete R380 with clutch and pedals I would have transcended rover v8s a long time ago. Please take lots of pictures and post a how to!

Old 03-27-2017, 10:08 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zuke, what manual trans are you going with??

Old 03-27-2017, 11:49 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Actually I ended up finding a low milage motor in a wrecked unit. After doing all the math, the conversion just didnt make sense.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:55 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought the D1 conversion for a chevy small block to the rover manual transmission from Marks last year.

No problems with the ordering and delivery process. They shipped it out fairly quickly and mostly answered my questions.

Unfortunately, the D1 still sits in the project phase with the Chevy 305 on an engine stand doing nothing... so I can't speak to the fit quality yet, though, I imagine with amount of time having passed, I'd be out of luck if any of the tolerances are off.