Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On the market for a used discovery

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 02:43 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On the market for a used discovery

Hey guys I'm new here. I'm 17 years old and for the longest time I've wanted either a Range Rover or a Land Rover cause they are the sickest rides around. I've got around 3-4k to spend and I've been looking around and I've found some 96-99 discoverys with sub 100k miles on them but I'm wondering if its worth it cause I've heard they can have some pretty bad and expensive mechanical issues. My parents are trying to force me to get an ol Honda CR-V unless i can convince them that a Land Rover is a good choice... but is it?

Thanks

Old 09-13-2008, 03:11 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: On the market for a used discovery

Yes you can get a Disco but you will most likely have to spend about
$2,000 US to get it up to speed.
And no cheap gas here after all it is a Land Rover.

If you are like the rest of us you can work on it on your weekends,,
much better than dating,,, What the H- get the CRV and have money to date.

Fun trucks but not for a first ride.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:36 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

These trucks are very safe and reliable, but unless you can do your own repairs and maintence they are expensive to keep on the road.
You MUST use premium gas and you will only get in the low teens for MPG. I get 12-14 city and 18-20 expressway, but I drive with a light foot.
And for a teenager you will not beable to afford the insurance on one either. After all they are $45,000 trucks.
Do you have a job?

Old 09-13-2008, 07:15 PM
4th Gear

My parents are goin to take care of the insurance an stuff so thats not such a big deal for me, but what do you mean I'd have to pay 2,000 to get it up to speed?

I found a 98 Discovery with 120k miles on it for only 1.8k. I was looking at the pictures and it looks like it in pretty snazzy condition... what are the chances that i'll drive it 10 feet and have something blow up?

Old 09-13-2008, 07:25 PM
Team Owner

What he means is that to fix everything that is wrong with it will cost over $1000. People who know nothing about LR's and buy them becasue they look cool do not take care of them and then when they get to bad they dump them on a poor unsuspecting sucker.
And yes, that '98 is going to blow up in the first mile.
Go to www.KBB.com and look up the blue book value of the truck, you will see what I mean.
I bought my '97 last April with 152,000 milkes on it, one owner for $4,500. And that was below blue book price.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:52 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I purchased my 97 LSE with 108,000 miles at the time for $3700 from a small dealer. That was $1500 below blue book and I quickly figured out why. There is nothing major wrong with my truck but there are numerous small things that I'd like to fix and the cost will add up quickly. The land Rover is definitely not suited for a first vehicle, as much as it hurts to talk someone out of a Rover. Any vehicle being sold below blue book is going to have problems. Are you planning to use the vehicle as simple back and forth transportation or do you plan to take it off-road? Do you have a decent income to support whatever you'er going to use it for?

Old 09-13-2008, 08:31 PM
4th Gear

I'm not looking for anything fancy as far as off-roading or anything like that... I'm just looking to get to school and back and around town. Whatever truck I do get is going to have to be in good enough shape to make a Philadelphia to Los Angeles trek within the next year though as thats where I'm going to college. I'm planning on visiting some small used car dealerships tomorrow or Monday afternoon to maybe look at some higher priced Discoverys... Is there anything specific I should ask? Any common problems with 98-02 Discoverys?

Old 09-13-2008, 08:34 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about the latest CRVs but check the crash ratings on the older models. If that dosn't convince you then get a helmet!

Old 09-14-2008, 02:52 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

unless you're REALLY good at doing your own repairs or rich I think a used rover would be a bad choice for your first vehicle.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:57 PM
Team Owner

Even though your parents are very generous their paitence are going to run out with a Disco in your price range. It will cost you more to drive it to CA than your college tution.
Get a RAV 4 and then buy your LR after school.

Quick Reply: On the market for a used discovery