Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mass Air Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 02:22 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mass Air Cleaning

What is the procedure to clean the mass air on a 1998 D1? I looked at the MAF and see a wire mesh. Is there two wire prongs like traditional MAF's that I can spray with cleaner?

Old 04-15-2010, 04:39 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Why do you want to clean it? Do you have fault codes or a problem with it, if not leave well enough alone.
If you have codes, only use MAF cleaners that are sold at the parts store.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:29 PM
Mudding

No codes, just rough idle once in a while. Changed plugs and this did not help. Could be the IAC, but the air filter from previous owner was filthy, so I am assuming the wire needs to be cleaned. I see a mesh, which looks very dirty, but wonder if this is what I need to clean? Usually there are two wires in the mass air assembly to clean. I have some mass air cleaner but just want to make sure I am cleaning the sensor properly.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle

under that mesh is a plastic arm,extending across the diameter, with a hole in it. inside the plasic,where the hole is, is where the wires are.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:44 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this the same procedure for a 2003 disco? I'm curious because i also get a rough idle every once and a while. Today I cleaned the IAC as best I could. Not too much you can do to the thing... Mine wasn't too filthy anyways... Anyways, any help would be much appreciated as usual!

Thanks again,

Old 04-15-2010, 09:55 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bantham1
What is the procedure to clean the mass air on a 1998 D1? I looked at the MAF and see a wire mesh. Is there two wire prongs like traditional MAF's that I can spray with cleaner?
those two prongs usually have a very fine rated resistance wire between them "hotwire". (they heat up and air flowing over them causes resistance change)

Use only MAF or electronic (no residue) cleaner.

Remove the MAF, make sure it's cool, spray 1/2 can thru mesh--rotate Maf around, flip it over, spray the other half thru' other end.

You want liquid to get into the hotwire & rinse it off, but not if the MAF is hot, it may shock the wire.

Let it dry for 5mins. , thro' in a new paper filter (if you didn't already), and you're good.

luck,greg

Last edited by greg409; 04-15-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:07 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where do you get the "paper filter" from? I'm sorry if that is an ignorant question, I have never done a MAF cleaning before!

Thanks for the help, I REALLY appreciate it!

Regards,

Old 04-15-2010, 10:14 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Shane83
Where do you get the "paper filter" from? I'm sorry if that is an ignorant question, I have never done a MAF cleaning before!

Thanks for the help, I REALLY appreciate it!

Regards,
A new paper air filter.

MAFs usually get dirty from poor filter maint. or oil treated permanant filters

luck,greg

Old 04-15-2010, 10:17 PM
Mudding

A paper filter is a standard filter such as a wix, napa, etc. Gauze filters such as the K&N are said to contaminate the wires if excessively oiled. I have used K&N fitlers on other vehicles, such as Ford, and have had to clean the MAF wires with the proper cleaner to resolve this issue. I assume the same would hold true for the land rover MAF. The previous owner had a paper filter installed, but is was highly contaminated with gunk and likely gunked up the MAF wire similar to what a K&N would do.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:41 PM
Mudding

Here is testing done by K&N. It appears they are aware of a possible problem with oil, but it looks like the tests show this may be a myth. I have personally never had a sensor go "bad" from a filter. I have had some with oil, but a cleaning solved this issue. The oil could have been crankcase blow back from all that I know.

http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/MAFTestresults.htm

Quick Reply: Mass Air Cleaning