Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Massive offroader... defeated by carwash!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 10:51 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Massive offroader... defeated by carwash!

So, not thinking anything of it, I stopped in to go through the one that beats the car with all the foam strips. They told me that I couldn't go through since it would get tangled on the ARB. So off through the super laser wash off doom.

pull in, set it in park, and enjoy the show. the light goes green to pull forward and I put it back in drive, touch the gas, nada.

I realize it stalled, turned it off and back on, nada. hop out, have my girl jump in the driver's seat to steer while I push. I thought to myself I'd rather push a rover than drive a Toyota... I chuckled to myself as I shoved.

went inside letter know I was going to leave it for a bit, started off or hike to the next stop we were going to make. might as well!

so, how do you get to that blasted coil pack??? all the plugs and wires looked dry. when I cranked one of the times it did sputter alive a bit and stalled back out. Just cranked fast as usual.

so, going to hike back in a bit, before I get her towed home, is there something else I should check?

Dave

P.S. sorry for my punctuation and whatnot, new cellphone kinda sinks.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Check for sparks (attach spare plug to removed coil wire) and lay on manifold. If no spark, consider crank shaft position sensor. Fuses? Water in connectors like the MAF?

Old 03-17-2013, 11:40 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

No the foam strips wont get caught in the ARB, I take mine with the ARB AND SD roof rack through the automatic carwash all the time.

You got the underbody wash to right?
Went crank sensor, thats the DII's Achilles heel.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:57 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Well, I finished my banking and hiked back - took about an hour. Might have been a bit nicer had it not been 35 degrees + quite windy.

I left it facing the sun with the hood up - engine was really quite dry - so I'm guessing the crank sensor was indeed the culprit. I went back to the car, cranked her over and she fired right up as though it was perfect. No check engine light, no nothing.

Here's what she looked like!

Dave

Old 03-17-2013, 12:02 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Where's Aaron when you need him to see what the camel cut would look like?!?

Old 03-17-2013, 01:19 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Zack I am all over it lol thanks! I watched a few vids on it and it looks easy enough.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:34 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Ghaniba
Well, I finished my banking and hiked back - took about an hour. Might have been a bit nicer had it not been 35 degrees + quite windy.

I left it facing the sun with the hood up - engine was really quite dry - so I'm guessing the crank sensor was indeed the culprit. I went back to the car, cranked her over and she fired right up as though it was perfect. No check engine light, no nothing.

Here's what she looked like!

Dave
Thats what everyone thinks of when they think Land Rover, sitting in a parking lot with the hood up. lol

Old 03-17-2013, 04:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WIsh I would have seen this earlier. I would have told you to just let it sit for 20 minutes haha. I dont know exactly what it is, but this happens to me nearly everytime I go through a large puddle. Just get out and enjoy the scenery for a little while. Hop back in and go!

While we are on the subject though, what is the general consensus as to what causes this? Crank sensor? Would that be the same answer for a D1 as well?

Old 03-17-2013, 06:03 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by greenharoguy
WIsh I would have seen this earlier. I would have told you to just let it sit for 20 minutes haha. I dont know exactly what it is, but this happens to me nearly everytime I go through a large puddle. Just get out and enjoy the scenery for a little while. Hop back in and go!

While we are on the subject though, what is the general consensus as to what causes this? Crank sensor? Would that be the same answer for a D1 as well?
DII, crank sensor, DI, ECU.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
DII, crank sensor, DI, ECU.
Hhhmmmm. Interesting. Is there a reason that the ECU has a hole in the bottom of it?

Quick Reply: Massive offroader... defeated by carwash!