Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Master Cylinder Brake Lines

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 05:43 PM
jh.
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Master Cylinder Brake Lines

I've worked counter clockwise from the back left replacing brake lines (knowing the front left was the most work)...and now I'm stuck. How do I reach the top right master cylinder brake line? Even the top left is hard to get at.

I have them all soaking in liquid wrench right now and will get back at it tomorrow...but I need to figure out how to best access them first.

Thanks.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:51 AM
jh.
Drifting

Bueller?

Old 08-26-2013, 08:05 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

are you changing the flex lines or the hardlines?

Old 08-26-2013, 10:24 AM
jh.
Drifting

Originally Posted by drowssap
are you changing the flex lines or the hardlines?
I got the SS extended lines from AB, and it came with 6. The 4 for each brake were easy...it's the other 2 that are causing me problems (and causing the girlfriend problems as she's not a fan of when the truck is left on jack stands on the driveway...thinks it looks trashy for some reason ).

I ASSUME that the two lines just behind the drivers front brake line are the two that need changing...but maybe I'm wrong. They are flexible rubber, about the same size as the SS lines.

While looking at the hub, they are just to the right of the brake line, slightly behind the fender. The one on the left is barely accessible, and the one on the right is completely blocked by the fender. I can get to the bottom nuts for both, but not the top.

I can't imagine it's as hard as I'm making it out to be as thousands before me have changed their 6 brake lines. And I don't want this to be the first reason for me to take the Disco to the shop...

Thanks again.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:16 AM
Baja

I like most people only replaced the 4 flex lines to the wheels sorry cant help you on this one.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:23 AM
jh.
Drifting

Sadly, that's now what I'm tempted to do...but Disco Mike has said in several threads I've read to "replace the 6 lines" to reduce a spongy brake pedal.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

I only did the four and could notice a deference.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:50 AM
Baja

mine will need to be changed; at the time I was doing mine they only had 4 hose kits.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:10 PM
jh.
Drifting

I'm going to add Akebono pads, so I better notice a difference!

I would rather do all 6 while I have the wheels off and the truck on blocks, but if I'm not able to, then I'm not able. I guess I could always just hang onto the other 2 lines in case I do need to take it to my Indy in the future for something else and then have them kill 2 birds.

Anytime I can't find info online, I automatically assume that the problem is so simple that no one has ever posted about it (and that I should figure out the answer myself). This one has me stumped because going into it, I thought 6 was standard...and now 2 days after asking my original question, I'm thinking I may have been wrong.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Attached image shows the two lines that need changing. Can you get to the end clamps that attach to the metal lines that go to the rear brakes? If so disconnect those then disconnect the hard lines at the top of the ABS pump. Pull the lines up and then attach the SS lines. Drop the hose backdown and attach to ABS Pump, then attach to metal lines for rear brakes.

Attached Thumbnails Master Cylinder Brake Lines-2013-08-26_2331.jpg  

Quick Reply: Master Cylinder Brake Lines