Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maybe this is why my valves are so noisy!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 03:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Maybe this is why my valves are so noisy!!

I worked on the truck this weekend trying to figure out why I have not been able to quiet my valves. I pulled the valve covers and this is what I saw. I think I should just get them rebuilt. I also cleaned the oil pickup tube and fixed the oil pan leak. The bottom of the motor is ot quite as ugly but it is no beauty queen either.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5362/DBE385B0A5BB454197248308764498FA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-06-2008, 04:29 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Maybe this is why my valves are so noisy!!

ewwwwwwwww, gross!!!

sorry, just had to! so how many miles are on this anyway?

Old 05-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

So how many miles on this engine, how often you been changing oil, why do you think your rocker arms are the problem?
I would start with a serious engine flush, get all that crap out of ther, do more frequent changes and go from there.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:03 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

About six months ago I posted a video clip of my 2003 Disco with a horrable engine ticking noise.

By the advice of Mike I performed an induction cleaning, did an ATF flush and started using Mobile-1 syn. Worked like a charm. The tick went away and the engine purred like new.

Almost a year later the tick suddenly came back. I performed another AFT flush and as expected the tick stopped. Although I never looked under the covers I suspected that some oil sludge had formed (oil/filter every 2500-3000).

Thanks DiscoMike for all of the good advise. I've since helped several LR owners solve their tick tick tick problem.

I hope mine were cleaner than that. WOW!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfTwiE-D3Gs

MWMG

Old 05-06-2008, 05:33 PM
Drifting

You may remember the picture I posted of the heads on my 97. The engine didn't tick but the rocker arm shafts and the rockers were totally packed and had no oil flow. I had to drill out the passages in the rocker arms. I did the ATF flush but if it can't get into the rocker shafts, it can't clean them out. If I were you, I'd pull out the rockers and check the passages. It's only another 4 bolts.

Marv

Old 05-06-2008, 06:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just so you know, the engine has 150K and this was after 2 ATF fushes and an induction cleaning. I also have been using Mobil 1 synthetic since I bought this over a year ago. I usually change it about 3K-3.5k miles. The amount of crap built up on the valve covers was a joke. I may pull the rocker arms and clean them out, I have always felt I was not getting enough oil up there. If the passesges are bocked ten the ATF would not get enough up there either to clean it. I may replace the springs anyways while I am in there since they are so cheap to begin with.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: handsome rob

I worked on the truck this weekend trying to figure out why I have not been able to quiet my valves. I pulled the valve covers and this is what I saw. I think I should just get them rebuilt. I also cleaned the oil pickup tube and fixed the oil pan leak. The bottom of the motor is ot quite as ugly but it is no beauty queen either.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5362/DBE385B0A5BB454197248308764498FA.jpg[/IMG]
Trust me, what you're lookign at is only 1/3of the story. You've alredy addressed the first 3rd by dropping and cleaning the oil pand and pick-up tube. The second 3rd iswhat you're looking at, the rocker arm assembly. The last 3rd in under the intake manifold in the engine valley. I can promise you have sludge in that area also. All three areas will greatly affect oil flow.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:15 PM
Drifting

150K miles and he's had it a year, doing regular oil changes - I'm assuming then this crude formed while the previous owner had the vehicle probably due to never changing the oil, if not what else would have caused this?