Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Might buy my first LR....PLEASE weigh in

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 01:21 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Might buy my first LR....PLEASE weigh in

Good afternoon! I’ve loved the Discos since I was a child and since then has always been my dream vehicle. I’ve always wanted one but have always been dissuaded due to the constant nagging of them being unreliable. I’m finally in adulthood and can financially afford one, and to be honest, don’t care if it’s unreliable. I love them aesthetically too much. I recently found one priced beyond unbelievable and would like some help

it’s a 2003 disco 2. 112k miles. 3 owner. Engine and transmission reportedly fine. 4x4 working fine. Exterior and interior in remarkable condition. Was told vehicle only starts 50% of the time, and only when cold outside. Also told it needs all new o2 sensors. New brake pads all the way around a year ago with new ABS module but “3 amigos is still on.” Also told a “Land Rover guy” recently did a few thousand in work.

Id be getting this vehicle for under 1k. Is this the perfect opportunity to get behind the wheel of my dream vehicle? Should I stay away as I’m on limited funds. This would be my second vehicle and used for maybe 50-100 miles a week. Thanks in advance

Last edited by Trainercb; 07-22-2019 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 253 Likes on 204 Posts

a Land Rover guy did thousands of dollars of work on it and it still has all those issues?

wonder what was actually fixed? i would ask for receipts for what was recently worked on.

the three amigos issue is usually an easy fix. get the codes read for that and plan on doing the "Option B" fix.

you probably only need new front O2 sensors. the fronts help tell the ECU how rich or lean to make the fuel mixture. the rear O2s only tell you if the catalytic converters are working.

someone else with more experience and knowledge will need to answer the no start issue.

Old 07-22-2019, 03:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 774 Likes on 510 Posts

limited funds makes this a tough call, really on any older vehicle as things wear out and they tend to do so in bunches. Even a "good" one will require a steady stream of cash to keep in tip top shape, especially in the beginning as you get familiar with the vehicle. Just swapping all the fluids can be daunting on a limited budget.

Old 07-22-2019, 03:10 PM
5th Gear

I’d be getting the vehicle for $600, so I’m wondering if I bit off more than I could chew I could at least get my money back by selling it as parts. Thoughts?

Old 07-22-2019, 03:52 PM
Received 1,151 Likes on 796 Posts

@Trainercb I will give you some old guy advice walk away, your red flag is a few thousand in work and it still
has issues.
  • 3 amigos is easy to fix once you find out why you have it
  • Only starts cold "could" be a CPS Sensor
  • O2 sensors maybe could be something else
If all that is wrong is a Hub, CPS and O2 sensors, probably a few hours work and say 300.00.

My suggestion is if you are serious wait and find something better, this one sounds way too iffy

The following users liked this post:
shanechevelle (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

All of those issues would have been addressed instantly & quickly by anyone with LR knowledge, so I am highly doubting the “LR Guy’s” abilities lol. Option B is like a 10.00 repair, CPS is 60.00, and O2 sensors aren’t hard either (if those are really the problem).

If you aren’t mechanically inclined then you will need a good independent shop that specializes in LR’s near by. Or if you want to learn then it’ll be fine. D2’s are easy IMHO to work on & a lot of parts cross reference from other vehicles. All the info you need is on this forum so you can either do a search or read thru all the stickies above.

600.00 is a great deal IMHO and with some TLC you’ll have a great vehicle no doubt. Best of luck & we’re here if you have any other issues. Even if the 600.00 one turns out to be a dud, it’s worth that in parts so grab it regardless and if it falls thru grab another one!

I love LR’s and all of mine have been excellent!!!!

Old 07-22-2019, 05:53 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,040 Posts

You should know your are asking active alcoholics if you should start drinking. Let us know if you don't buy it, I am sure one of us will.

The following 3 users liked this post by Extinct:
jastutte (07-22-2019), Lisa Bunch (07-26-2019), whowa004 (07-23-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 06:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Buy it and if it doesn't work out make it yard art. Buy as many as you can!! A STONEHENGE OF LAND ROVERS!

The following users liked this post:
jastutte (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 06:03 PM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you driven it? any overheating or ticking noises? any rust holes on the rear of the frame?

I would only recommend these trucks if you can work on it yourself. Paying someone to keep it on the road is too expensive. Finding an indy mechanic that knows these vehicles is also challenging.

Do you live in a state that requires emission inspections?

$600 sounds like a good deal, but it very well might not be worth it depending on what the truck needs to be road ready.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:09 PM
5th Gear

No reported ticking noises or overheating. Carfax shows 3 owners all in the south. No reported rust.

Quick Reply: Might buy my first LR....PLEASE weigh in