Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mileage improvements

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 01:12 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mileage improvements

Hey all,
I am new to this forum, and new to LR. I have a '95 Disco with 117,000 on a 3.9 engne, and I am in love with it already, despite the problems unique to LRs, one of whichseems to behorrendous gas mileage.[&o]
I have seen several posts regarding mileage woes with these beastly vehicles that love to guzzlepetrol, and although I am a newbie, I have some potentially useful info regarding an increase in gas mileage.
Before I scored it, my particular Disco had a little spill which destroyed its catalytic converters (among other things). Well, the mechanic that sewed the thing back together neglected to replace the cats, and also added a Flowmaster exhaust to it. It's loud. It's stinky. And it probably wouldn't pass emissions in a county that requires it. But, it now gets about 18 mpg! which, from my understanding, is pretty darn good for a Disco. So, it is possible that the cats LR uses in the US are not sufficient for getting maximum mpg out of your Disco with crappy US gas.
ALSO: Check for bad hoses that may be causing a vacuum leak. I was only getting about 12 mpg prior to a couple ofweeks ago when I noticed a small vacuum hose near the top/rear of the engine that was leaking air! Since that was fixed, the mileage is up to about 18 mpg, and I've been using 89 octane gas.
Hopefully this info will come in handy for some of you. I would be curious to know if there is indeed an alternative catalytic coverter for Discos that would help resolve the mileage issue, in case I move to a county that requires emissions testing for vehicles.
Nez

Old 06-14-2007, 03:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Mileage improvements

Thanks for the info. You should really still be using 91 octane regardless of gas mileage. Pay now or pay more later.