Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misfire Codes Back Again

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 08:49 AM
Administrator
Received 101 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by herblatham
So about a month ago, after doing a tune up, I started getting the CEL saying misfiring. and the car was running not at it's best. I had just replaced the spark plugs prior to the CEL so was hesitant to change them again, but i did. I didn't realize that doing an induction cleaning after installing new spark plugs was stupid, and it would foul them. So I replaced them a second time beginning of the week, or sometime last week. Drove for about two days, and the CEL turned off, and everything was fine, back to normal. This morning the CEL came on again, and i had it checked, same thing. Misfires. I just put in new spark plug wires probably the first week of January. So i don't think it could be the wires. I don't know what to do next. The car is running fine, except for the fact that it's apparently misfiring.

98 discovery le
139000 miles
Doing an induction cleaning will not foul out new or old plugs. You need to post with an issue so you don't just throw good money away.
What brand of plugs did you install, how about wires, what brand are they?

Old 01-15-2010, 09:08 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

40 bucks down the tube on those wires.... i use magnecors 8mm...

Old 01-15-2010, 09:13 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What plugs are you using? I am in chorus with everyone else here... Trash the wires.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:22 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i put in bosch platinum +4 plugs in, the wires are accel. I just talked to guy down in wilmington, has bosch wires for sell down there, do any of ya'll have experience with bosch wires, should i get em? My only problem with ordering online is that i'm living in barracks on base, and getting your mail is always a hard thing to do. Takes forever, floats around. so i'm trying to avoid having it mailed to me.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:26 AM

the bosch wires are the wires that the LR dealer puts on the truck they are 7mm wires. we are suggesting 8mm kingsborne or magnecor wires. the reason is that our engines disperse heat very well, so all that internal heat breaks down the wires and the 8mm wires can withstand that abuse. i would highly suggest getting some 8mm wires.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:32 AM
Mudding

do you guys know of any local auto parts stores that sell 8mm wires. I haven't had any luck finding any.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:11 AM
Camel Trophy

Take your +4's out and put in regular Champion plugs. Not platinum or anything fancy. You should be able to run them until you can get the 8MM wires. The +4's will not do well on poorly insulated wires.

I agree with the Bosch wires. They will do the same as what you have on there. If it is still running rough after the plug swap, then look into changing out wires. Should have a warranty? I put the Bosch wires on my truck when I first got it, before knowing. I went through 3 sets under warranty before swapping to Magnacors. No problems since. But, like I said before, use the regular factory plugs with the 7MM wires.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:15 AM

call Apex Performance @ 866-505-2739 they have the cheapest prices on the magnecor 8mm and they are just south of Myrtle Beach not far from Camp Lejune

Old 01-15-2010, 12:04 PM
Mudding

Dude thanks for the tip, I called and was told magnecore ships their orders straight from michigan, they don't keep any in stock. So a no go. I'm probably just going to get a p.o box and order them. Thanks for you guys' help

Old 01-15-2010, 02:30 PM
Camel Trophy

find a local offroad shop or just a mechanics shop and see if they will order them for you. Seriously though, try swapping the plugs until you can get it worked out. $10 and an hour may be worth it. You don't want to keep driving on a dead cylinder. It will wash it down....

Quick Reply: Misfire Codes Back Again