Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misfire codes... but no signs of it??

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 06:01 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Russrat,

if your replacing wires skip the magnacores; why spend so much money just for a name, go here:

Kingsborne Wire Werks Inc - Spark plug wires, Automotive, RV, Motorcycle, Marine, Racing, Industry

order their 8mm wires and also get 8mm wire separators

Last edited by drowssap; 08-15-2014 at 06:46 AM.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:21 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I guess it's because magnacor is what everybody talks about on the forums. I know they're pricey but I'm going that direction. Thanks for the recommendation.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:32 PM
Three Wheeling

As for the misfires:
Make sure the wires were installed the correct way first. People can cross wires if not paying attention. Probably not your issue but it should be your first step.

New wires can still have cracks in them causing arcing. This is probably your issue.
It is easier to detect arcing in pitch black. Try watching the engine while it is running at night and as dark as possible. Check closely around the boots and you can pull off the rubber hood seal along the top of the firewall so you can see the coils better and watch for arcing.

Again, thanks for the advice. I checked for arcing...and I think that's a huge issue. Got in pitch black and first looked at my plugs and I could see sparks and flashes on most every one of them on the left side and on 3 and 5 on the right side. As for the coil, I couldn't really see back there very well and I didn't want to mess with the wiring harness. Basically because I figured I had confirmed the issue. Am I right? Is there not supposed to be any visible sparks or flashes coming from where the plug meets the boot? Many thanks for your help.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:56 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My SES light came on yesterday after driving through heavy rain and flooding. I'm hoping it was a case of some connectors getting wet but the light is still on after a day. Will be reading codes tomorrow to figure out what is going on - always something. Just this past week I was thinking how lucky I was that I hadn't had to deal with codes yet - jinxed myself. I may be commiserating with you in the near future..

Funny side note: I ran to the store today and drove the Disco. There was a guy in the vehicle next to me looking over (yeah, it kind of weirded me out). I was messing around with change in the cup holder and he kept watching me. Then he backed out and just sat behind the Rover in his crossover (don't know what it was - they all look the same) as I got out and took my sweet time hoping he would leave. Anyway, I pulled my shirt down and hiked my pants up (didn't wear a belt) and thought 'god, this guy is still sitting there...WTH is his problem?' I finally gave up on him leaving and as I walked around the Rover he said 'hi there.. I was wondering if you could tell me how you like your Discovery. I've always liked them, was thinking about getting one but have heard varied stories as to the reliability'. I basically told him that it was a love/hate relationship and that as much as I love my Rover it brings me pain every so often and it tests me every few days. We talked about head gaskets, electrical issues, drive shafts, SUNROOFS, my SES light, etc. Interesting how when you drive a Disco you're noticed.. lol.. I told him that unless he wanted to fix issues right and left that he'd be better off keeping the vehicle that he was driving.

Anyone else been stalked over a Rover? lol..

Old 08-18-2014, 12:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Russratt
As for the misfires:
Make sure the wires were installed the correct way first. People can cross wires if not paying attention. Probably not your issue but it should be your first step.

New wires can still have cracks in them causing arcing. This is probably your issue.
It is easier to detect arcing in pitch black. Try watching the engine while it is running at night and as dark as possible. Check closely around the boots and you can pull off the rubber hood seal along the top of the firewall so you can see the coils better and watch for arcing.

Again, thanks for the advice. I checked for arcing...and I think that's a huge issue. Got in pitch black and first looked at my plugs and I could see sparks and flashes on most every one of them on the left side and on 3 and 5 on the right side. As for the coil, I couldn't really see back there very well and I didn't want to mess with the wiring harness. Basically because I figured I had confirmed the issue. Am I right? Is there not supposed to be any visible sparks or flashes coming from where the plug meets the boot? Many thanks for your help.
Yep the wires are. You should not see any arcing in the dark. A new set of wires should do the trick. If you get 8mm wires do not try and force them into the stock wire holders or they will likely tear over time.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:17 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Jared9220
Yep the wires are. You should not see any arcing in the dark. A new set of wires should do the trick. If you get 8mm wires do not try and force them into the stock wire holders or they will likely tear over time.
Jared - thanks! I've also read that new coils may be the solution to all the arcing. I'm ordering wires today and I'll re-check it. My braided wire that bolts onto the fire wall also had no nut on it! I put a nut on there this morning, so hopefully all my grounds are good now. I will report back after the wire install. I'll also check to see if I can order 8mm wire holders to go with my new wires... thanks for that tip. - Russell

Old 09-01-2014, 09:06 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks to all for your help! Here's an update and everything is solved so far... I replaced the plugs a couple of weeks ago but didn't notice too much of a difference and my SES light was still on. I bought the Magnacore wires and installed them last night and it runs much smoother and has noticeably more power!

I did not take off the Intake Manifold because of the write-up on this forum. It wasn't too terribly difficult but I wouldn't want to do it every day. One snag that i ran into has to do with the SAI bracket. I went ahead and took it off after i got the tube out because i kept scratching myself on it. Well, when I got the job done and was ready to replace the bracket, it was off-set from the holes. I used a pry bar to try and bring it back while i screwed in the bolt but I eventually dropped it and never found it. SO - I'm cruising with no SAI bracket at the moment, and need to find the specs on the screws that hold it onto the engine. It must have been a problem for the previous person who did this job because it only had one screw when it should have had two.

Another thing that was difficult about the wire job was where to position yourself while fiddling with the wires on the coil pack. The only way i could manage it was to sprawl out on top of my engine with my knees on the body in front of the radiator.

Things I broke.. I did break some of the fins that separate the grill when i leaned into it reaching. This isn't noticeable by sight but its there... Also, I broke the plastic that houses the air filter in several places. Putting my hands on it, elbow, etc. It was just brittle and sustained some damage. It had a crack or two any way, so I'll be keeping an eye out for a replacement.

Thanks again for all the help!