Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misfire / Loss of Power after refuelling

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 12:12 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfire / Loss of Power after refuelling

I managed to post this in another thread so here goes again:

I had a misfire problem on my 02 Disco2 (around 90k miles). Could only manage around 60/70 km/h on the level and sometimes cut out completely when going uphill. As I came here for a"couple of weeks" work (now running to 3 months)I didn't bring my rovacom so have had to use the local dealer. (certainly won't come without it again!)

I don't believe in coincidences and the problem occured a few minutes and no more than 10km after filling up with fuel. The pump at the fuel station wasunbelievably slow and I think might have been pulling sediment and/or water from the bottom of their tank.

The dealer (stealer I believe they are usually called on here) only wants to replace plugs, leads and coils at great expense despite my explaining the background to the problem. Looks like he's working on a trial and error basis. Anyone any other thoughts?

Old 12-26-2008, 09:34 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Misfire / Loss of Power after refuelling

So do you have a check engine light, if so get the codes read.
At 90,000 K, if you still have stock wires they can really be bad.
I would also throw a failiong MAF or a Failing crank sensor into the list of possibilities.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:58 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Have you tried another gas station?
Run that tank of fuel until the low fuel light comes on and then go to a different gas station, in the mean time add a bottle of fuel injector cleaner to the gas tank right now.

Old 12-26-2008, 08:54 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, Spike,

Thanks for your suggestions. The plug wireshave been replaced and the injector cleaner sounds a good idea. I have been thinking about buying a new spare crank sensor and keeping it in the vehicle. I'll make sure I get one now and a few other bits and pieces like the MAF too when I return to the UK. The gas station was just a random roadside selection on a trip to the coast, won't use it again. Due to collect it from the dealer later today so I'll see if they've cured it but their approach doesn't give me any confidence.

Old 12-26-2008, 08:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the subject of gas stations

Sounds dumb but my disco knows what type of gas it is getting

There are 2 local gas stations that carry 93 octane, and WHENEVER I filled up there my car would run like ****. (I don't know if it wasn't really 93, or if it is just crappy gas)

I've never had a problem with a chain gas station's 93 octane, so go with the shell/exxon/mobil/hess/etc.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:13 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

last week the snow was was keeping trucks from delivering gas to the pumps.

i was sure to ask the stations how much gas was in their tanks so i was not pulling from the bottom. on a vehicle with no filter i DO NOT want to run sludge.

i will be curious to see what your issue is,,,

Old 12-26-2008, 09:20 PM
Team Owner

My wife used to manage a gas station, their gas pumps work just like your fuel pump, they always pull from the bottom.
They leave about 6" free at the bottom for sediment/sludge/water/dead bodies, etc.
Try and always use a high volume gas station, if you are out in the sticks and you know that knowbody around there uses premium, get regular.
Gas does go stale in the ground.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:27 PM
TReK

ORIGINAL: Spike555

My wife used to manage a gas station, their gas pumps work just like your fuel pump, they always pull from the bottom.
They leave about 6" free at the bottom for sediment/sludge/water/dead bodies, etc.
Try and always use a high volume gas station, if you are out in the sticks and you know that knowbody around there uses premium, get regular.
Gas does go stale in the ground.

i know it goes "stale" but did not know they pull from the bottom. thats a pisser.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:34 PM
Team Owner

Yup, there are two pipes that go into each tank, they have two for gas, one for regular and one for premium, if you want mid grade the gas pump mixes the two.
One pipe goes to the bottom, it has a screen on it.
The other is 6" from the top, that is the vent tube to relieve pressure inside the tank and to allow for air to get in so the tank does not collapse when it gets emptied.
Each pump has a fuel filter on it. It is inside the pump.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:38 PM
TReK

how often are the screens or filters changed or swapped out?

Quick Reply: Misfire / Loss of Power after refuelling