Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Missfire Cyl 1, 8 along with a randome missfire code???

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missfire Cyl 1, 8 along with a randome missfire code???

What can cause a cylinder #1 and #8 missfire as well as a random missfire code??
The guy at Napa Auto said I might need a cam senser it only happens in idle and not very often?
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/ERR6169G.cfm
The only thing I can rull out is the spark plug wires they are new!

Old 09-09-2009, 04:39 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You dont need a cam sensor.
The cam sensor controls injector timing not spark, the crank sensor controls spark timing.

What brand of plug wires did you use?
Did you also replace the plugs?

Old 09-09-2009, 05:00 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Spike555
You dont need a cam sensor.
The cam sensor controls injector timing not spark, the crank sensor controls spark timing.

What brand of plug wires did you use?
Did you also replace the plugs?
plugs are platinum +4s with 6000 miles on them and the wires are new magnacore!

Old 09-09-2009, 05:15 PM
Team Owner

Are your plug wires seated correctly on the coils?
The coils on DII's do go bad.
Here is what i would do, first check all the plug wires and make sure that they are all seated securly, good solid "click" when pressed onto the coil and plug.
Clear code.
If it comes back then replace the crank sensor, now usually when a crank sensor goes bad the truck just stalls.
But anything is possible.
A crank sensor is cheaper than coils.
I cant think of anything else thought would cause misfires, mis fires are because of bad spark, which would be caused by bad plug wires, plugs, or coils.
Oooo, Ooooo, remove and check all of your spark plugs for cracks in the porcelain, we have had a rash of bad Bosch plugs on here in the last few months.
If you cant see any cracks then move the plugs to different cylinders and see if the mis fires follow the plugs.
So you know that #1 &#8 are bad, move them to somewhere else, take note and see what happens.
Still check all of the wires too.
Remember
K eep
I t
S imple
S tupid
That means free stuff first, then cheap stuff, then sell it.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Spike555
Are your plug wires seated correctly on the coils?
The coils on DII's do go bad.
Here is what i would do, first check all the plug wires and make sure that they are all seated securly, good solid "click" when pressed onto the coil and plug.
Clear code.
If it comes back then replace the crank sensor, now usually when a crank sensor goes bad the truck just stalls.
But anything is possible.
A crank sensor is cheaper than coils.
I cant think of anything else thought would cause misfires, mis fires are because of bad spark, which would be caused by bad plug wires, plugs, or coils.
Oooo, Ooooo, remove and check all of your spark plugs for cracks in the porcelain, we have had a rash of bad Bosch plugs on here in the last few months.
If you cant see any cracks then move the plugs to different cylinders and see if the mis fires follow the plugs.
So you know that #1  are bad, move them to somewhere else, take note and see what happens.
Still check all of the wires too.
Remember
K eep
I t
S imple
S tupid
That means free stuff first, then cheap stuff, then sell it.
LOL that crossed my mind today!
Now this is the strange part I just did my head gaskets and had all of the plugs in a bowl what are the odds I put the same plug back in cyl #1 and why is cyl #8 acting up now?
Ok check for cracks first!

Old 09-09-2009, 09:53 PM
Rock Crawling

No cracks in my spark plugs dang! I think I am going to replace my spark plugs first I think I have to rule that out yet!
So if its not that or my wires then its a crank sensor or coil and thats it right?

Old 09-09-2009, 10:54 PM
Rock Crawling

Ok will this help me test my plugs I just read this on a nother post? "Remove one of your spark plugs, hook the plug wire back up to it and have a friend crank the engine over, does the plug spark?" But will this be obvious enoff for me to tell my plugs are bad?

Old 09-11-2009, 10:40 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck running this down. I've had a couple cylinder misfires and a random misfire code for the longest time now. Just can't get rid of them...

I've done the plugs (a few times) new Magnecore wires, new coils, swapped out the TPS and VSS for known good ones (did the VSS cause on the highway it falls on its face until I let of/back on the throttle), cleaned the crap out of the intake and throttle, seafoamed it, replaced the vacuum lines, and even kissed it for good luck. Still nothing...

Old 09-11-2009, 05:47 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by IDAHODISCO
Ok will this help me test my plugs I just read this on a nother post? "Remove one of your spark plugs, hook the plug wire back up to it and have a friend crank the engine over, does the plug spark?" But will this be obvious enoff for me to tell my plugs are bad?
The only thing this will tell you is if you have spark, you would have to test each and every cylinder.
Buy a set of cheap copper plugs, it will cost you $8 and this will rule out the plugs for sure.
Hell, it may even cure the problem altogether.
Some engines just dont like some plugs, plug "A" may work in your truck but not your friends.
Its weird, cant explain in, but sometimes thats just the way it is.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:34 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by jdhuegel1
Good luck running this down. I've had a couple cylinder misfires and a random misfire code for the longest time now. Just can't get rid of them...

I've done the plugs (a few times) new Magnecore wires, new coils, swapped out the TPS and VSS for known good ones (did the VSS cause on the highway it falls on its face until I let of/back on the throttle), cleaned the crap out of the intake and throttle, seafoamed it, replaced the vacuum lines, and even kissed it for good luck. Still nothing...
So jdhuegel1 do you get a low RPM every now and again with your missfire and does your only happen when idleing??

Quick Reply: Missfire Cyl 1, 8 along with a randome missfire code???