Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Missing Item, Bounty Paid

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 02:45 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Missing Item, Bounty Paid

I'm posting in the main Disco board as well is in the "WTB" section because this is an odd bit, not likely to be something just laying around unless someone bought an "install your side steps" kit and didn't use all the pieces, or if they've managed to completely mangle a set of side steps in an accident and have spare bits, or just happen to be skulking through parking lots late at night with a Phillips screwdriver...

Anyway, I scored a SWEET deal on a set of side steps for my Disco, which made my wife and kids happy. But there's this problem... one of the "fitment" pieces is missing!

You can see it,or rather that it's missing, here:

And this is what it's supposed to look like, on the other side...

Now, I'm not stupidly desperate, but I'd really, REALLY like to have this piece if anyone has it, or can find it for me. I'm happy to pay a finder's fee if you don't have it but know where it is, within reason.

Thanks ever so much in advance!

Old 11-17-2009, 04:38 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Do your self a favor and remove those steps before you tear them off when driving down a dirt road.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:49 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Do your self a favor and remove those steps before you tear them off when driving down a dirt road.
mike i almost pissed myself reading that.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:13 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

he's just trying to please his wife and kids

Old 11-18-2009, 11:49 AM

get some rock sliders that stick out, thats what i'm getting because my girl is on the short side and has to pull her self into the truck, but i dont want running boards because as mike said they will just get torn off.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:56 AM
Three Wheeling

I must say that I have been thinking about running boards too. My Disco is used way more as a family truckster than for off-roading. How hard are they to remove before any off-road trips I might take?

Old 11-18-2009, 12:24 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike, thanks for being *so* helpful.... NOT. You're a great resource, but you need to get your head around the fact that not everyone is doing what you're doing.

Have a peak at my signature. This is my fourth modern Rover, plus a couple of Series trucks that I didn't list. I actually do know what I'm doing when it comes to off-road, I grew up in the West Texas desert, and was off-roading before I was on-roading. I lover Rovers for what they are, and aren't.

Look, on my '99 D2, which I set up for Moab and the deserts of northern Mexico, I used RoverTym's sliders with their semi-side-steps. Add in the little plate that they sell to use as a step to get to the roof rack, and it was awesome. Loved those babies, they completely saved my *** when a rock I had my left rear tire on split in half and dropped the Disco's side rail on another rock. I would have had to leave it broken in half in the desert if I hadn't had 'em.

This isn't that truck. It's a MALL ROVER. The deal is, my wife gets it for a while, dealing with dogs and kids, and once we've "outgrown" some of the activities for which she uses it, I get it back to go off-roading with. If I haven't built another one in the meantime, or decided to bite the bullet and buy back my Defender. In the meantime, if mama ain't happy, ain't no body happy.

To answer the questions asked, it's about half an hour to take them off. You have to take the long mounting studs off the rig, or you haven't really solved your problem. And then about the same going back on. It's a big pain in the *** if you were to do it every weekend before heading out.

For what I consider "casual" off-roading -- where you're actually ON semi-maintained roads, as opposed to the kind of "there was a road here in the 1880s" or "look, someone ran a log skidder through here once" kind of stuff I used to do, I wouldn't even bother taking them off. But if there's a stream ford, mud, or any situation where you're having to think about wheel placement on rocks... take 'em off.

BTW -- thanks, Alan.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:25 PM

you should get these rock sliders instead http://www.safari-equip.co.uk/index.php?page=72

Old 11-18-2009, 03:32 PM
Mudding

"if mama ain't happy, ain't no body happy."

I hear you loud and clear!

BTW my 76 year old mum with a hip replacement was over for 3 weeks and I hated to watch her struggling, she would have loved the steps

Old 11-18-2009, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by alanroberts50
"if mama ain't happy, ain't no body happy."

I hear you loud and clear!

BTW my 76 year old mum with a hip replacement was over for 3 weeks and I hated to watch her struggling, she would have loved the steps

i picked up my 84 yr old grandfather from hospital two days after he had a pacemaker put in his heart and he had no problem getting his butt in the seat, i'm sure the rock sliders would have helped him get in and of course i could have took him offroading with them and not lost a door panel.

Quick Reply: Missing Item, Bounty Paid