Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monday, something new is happening....

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 09:01 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Monday, something new is happening....

I have a new friend coming home on monday... 2000 DII

BAD-
Has major haul damage on the hood,HG are leaking, both header gaskets are blown, and there is an issue with one of the front axels. Dash looks like a Xmas tree, ABS, Check Engine light, Traction control and hill descent lights also lit.... But truck runs and drives and even with all this it's still being driven 45 miles each way to work everyday by PO... (He adds coolant weekly )

GOOD
New cooper tires, fully dressed (already spoken for if I part) still runs at least... No smoke, truck does not seem to be overheating etc, engines sounds good (except for the loud leaking headers), Has full set of the custom rubber interior mats, and like new running boards that are not currently installed on truck.

PO owned it since 2005, and had it to a couple shops, got the estimates and well, now it's mine.

Figured I'll toss the HG in, fix headers at same time, and just drive it until my other cars are done. (I have 3 I'm working on right now My 87 300D, my E320 wagon and of course my 95 Disco) When the E320's new trans is done, I may part this truck out or? depends on what else is wrong but honestly, I got it cheap enough that I should be able to drive it and recover anything I spend.

Attached Thumbnails Monday, something new is happening....-5k45mf5je3e63k23f7c666617fd366fb312a3.jpg   Monday, something new is happening....-5nd5h35ja3e23gf3h7c66e73b308f11be1beb.jpg  
Old 06-09-2012, 01:02 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats awesome! Looks like the paint is in fairly good condition too! Congrats!

Old 06-12-2012, 09:56 PM
Winching

Got the truck home last night. Today I replaced the leaking muffler gasket... Did I say leaking? I mean totally gone... Sounds normal now. Ordered the head gasket kit and bolts plus an ultra guage. Trucks holding steady normal temp, the head gasket leak is in the very front corner of the drivers side, no oil in coolant or visa versa.

Replaced the two rear lights with units from a friends parts truck, also grabbed a like new door panel for the drivers door, the one in the trucks suede was torn and worn. Will put the new panel on tomorrow after I get the trans dropped from my d1.

All in all, it looks like a good truck. Of curse, I still have to deal with the three amigos, plus the srs light. Fun fun.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Nice, its a discovery, overall a great vehicle in my opinion as long as you aren't afraid of a little work.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:50 AM
Winching

Parts came in yesterday for the HG, So I'll be heading over this morning to do the job. Hopefully around 3-4 the truck will be ready to roll. (Estimating about 6 hours for the job) I have a extra new set of heads sitting here just in case the current ones turn out to be warped etc, Will have them redone if needed and waiting for the next truck.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:52 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by FlyingZebra34
Nice, its a discovery, overall a great vehicle in my opinion as long as you aren't afraid of a little work.
Work? This is all the fun stuff! The playing on these trucks (any those old MB's) I do is one of the few things I find relaxing plus, it's about the only time I'm left alone...

Old 06-16-2012, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

re: I find relaxing plus, it's about the only time I'm left alone

Amen - my Father's Day present was a morning at the junk yard pulling dash wood (uncracked), cruise amplifier, rear spheres, and a factory pull out cargo cover and dog cage divider for my 300 TE. $30 well spent.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:28 PM
Winching

Had to pospone the HG job till Tuesday morning. , Oh well, got the yard mowed...

Old 06-16-2012, 05:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

ngarover, saw in you signature you are upgrading to an om617. No om642?

Old 06-20-2012, 06:49 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by dgi 07
ngarover, saw in you signature you are upgrading to an om617. No om642?

Well, The om617 is a better engine in my book. Plus I happen to have one that only has 6500 miles on it (was a full Metric Motors long block)

Did the HG's yesterday. Fixed the Cruise while I was at it. Trucks running perfect now. Installed the Ultra Gauge and and only pending code is the p1590 (truck has 3 amigos on also) So have to deal with that.

Can feel a shudder from the Torque converter, Going to change out the fluids etc and see if that helps, if not, will toss a new converter in. Fun fun!

Quick Reply: Monday, something new is happening....