Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

..:: The morning clicking noise situation ::..

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2022, 03:46 PM
Winching
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default ..:: The morning clicking noise situation ::..

Hello Roverers!

Happy to report that Disco has been fine after the fusebox swap, but in the past couple of weeks I've been hearing a clicking sound every morning that I start it up. Noise seems to come from the fusebox panel, so it may be a faults relay perhaps. Today I noticed that sound is a bit louder when I press the Brake to shift out of park; as a matter of fact, I now see that when is clicking, the lights on shifter blinks. After a while it stops clicking, and I don't hear it throughout the day, it only happens on the morning start up. Any tips as to which relay should I look into first? Thanks.

I have a video of the issue for you all to see:

Last edited by adolfojbonilla; 01-31-2022 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-01-2022, 10:33 AM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be your XYZ switch getting ready to start acting up. I had a relay clicking in the same area when I changed gears, along with the classic blinking M/S lights and limp mode. I took it apart and cleaned up the contacts, loaded it up with dielectric grease and haven't had any more problems. Does it click when you move the gear selector?

The following users liked this post:
adolfojbonilla (02-01-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 11:58 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by mendenhall2
Could be your XYZ switch getting ready to start acting up. I had a relay clicking in the same area when I changed gears, along with the classic blinking M/S lights and limp mode. I took it apart and cleaned up the contacts, loaded it up with dielectric grease and haven't had any more problems. Does it click when you move the gear selector?
Thanks for your input. The clicking noise is similar and as loud as when turn signals are on. This happens only at morning start up, while Disco is idle, after a few minutes it goes away. Yesterday was the first time I notice the louder noise when pressing brake to shift out of park, like if it came from the shift lock actuator, and also first time I saw the lights on shifter blinking. Today the clicking noise was not present. No it does not click while moving gears, it only comes out as soon as I start the Disco for a few mins.

Old 02-01-2022, 01:58 PM
TReK
Received 768 Likes on 636 Posts

Does your truck have SAI? If so, is it operating correctly?
The "only when cold" behaviour makes it seem possible that it could be related to that circuit.

Old 02-01-2022, 06:55 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by mollusc
Does your truck have SAI? If so, is it operating correctly?
The "only when cold" behaviour makes it seem possible that it could be related to that circuit.
Thanks for your input Mollusc. Yes, it has SAI, and yes, it seems to be working fine. As usual, every morning when I start it, you can hear the vacuum do its thing, and once it goes off, is usually the time I shift out of Park, and start driving. It's been like that forever, so I figure it's fine. Occasionally I would hear the vacuum going on when stopped at a light, but usually goes off immediately. And yes, it seems to be an "only when cold behavior". Again, the clicking noise of a relay is what makes it noticeable.

Old 02-02-2022, 11:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Hmm, out of curiosity, are your brake lights going on and off whilst this is happening?

It could be as simple as the brake light switch.

Old 02-03-2022, 06:20 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by User
Hmm, out of curiosity, are your brake lights going on and off whilst this is happening?

It could be as simple as the brake light switch.
...thanks for your input, but I do not know. It only happens in the mornings, when I'm by myself, but I'll try to check if it does what you say, or anything else.
In any case, yesterday and the day before Disco started without doing this issue, I'll see today; so what I've thought was an everyday thing, seems now to be random.
I was wondering if any of Disco S2 SE owners like mine also hear a soft light "click" from under dash panel when pressing the brake to shift out of park under regular conditions. It is not comparable to the loud and louder clicking you hear on video I posted, which clearly shows some type of awkward behavior.
Any way, my Disco does have a faulty something, it just hasn't done it for 2 days in a row, so we'll see this morning. Thank you all.

Old 02-11-2022, 11:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

When it is under 10-15 degrees my turn signals don't work until it warms up.

I wonder if it's a similar situation with the brake light switch Hahah

Old 02-13-2022, 10:21 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by User
When it is under 10-15 degrees my turn signals don't work until it warms up.

I wonder if it's a similar situation with the brake light switch Hahah
...after I last posted on this thread, the issue had not repeated itself until Feb 10th ...with clicking noise from fuse box; Occasional shifter lights blink; no louder click when pressing brake to shift out of Park, as experienced last time; and clicking went away a couple mins after vacuum went off, as I was ready to drive off ...coincidentally, temp that day was in low 60's ...so yes, it crossed my mind then if colder temp could be playing a role ...after that day it hasn't happened again, and morning temps had been a bit warmer ...so I'll be looking into that as well. Thanks for your input.

Last edited by adolfojbonilla; 10-06-2022 at 07:32 AM.
Old 02-14-2022, 07:53 AM
Winching

...for example, today's temp at startup was 63, and clicked.

Quick Reply: ..:: The morning clicking noise situation ::..