Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This Is A Most Depressing Forum

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 07:01 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This Is A Most Depressing Forum

A little personal background: I have owned discovery IIs since 1995 as they fulfill several of my functional requirements that no other vehicle can. First, a new 1995 that had NO engine issues in 75K miles, then in 2000 I traded it for a new 2000, also no engine issues in 150K miles, except for oil leaks (as they say, in the UK the containment of automotive fluids is an inexact science) and an annoying engine tick that I ignored for about 3 years.

Last December I found a pristine 2004 (the last model year that met my functional requirements) with only 64K miles. However, it generated a cylinder 4 misfire code each morning on first startup, to be fixed before I took ownership. They replaced plug(s), coil wires, coil(s) and finally the entire head to correct the problem. It ran flawlessly for approx. 6 months/5K miles, then the cyl. 4 misfire reappeared intermittently for a week or two, then went away for about a month. No overheating/loss of coolant issues. Then it came back consistently, accompanied by very rough running and the MIL lamp flashing under even medium load. Compression and spark on cyl. 2 & 4 OK. Moved plug to cyl. 2 and problem moved to cyl. 2. Replaced plug (looked OK), reset code, engine ran fine for a day, then MIL light came on again, and noticed coolant loss. No evidence of coolant in oil based on cursory inspection of dipstick.

Based on online research, it appears I probably have a slipped liner/cracked block/deteriorating block casting, which probably means a new short block ($$$). The depressing part reading this and other forums is that this is a common problem, due to design, manufacturing and tooling problems, has existed for years and was probably worse in the later years, and a replacement block will probably develop the same problems.

LR has been my primary transportation since 95 (my other cars are a 67 Jaguar E Type and a 55 MG, both of which are quite reliable), but sadly, it appears that I will have to comprise my functional requirements and purchase something more reliable (much more), such as a (shudder) Toyota.

Rod
Quechee, VT

Old 12-08-2013, 07:08 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I am amazingly jealous that a fellow vermonter had access to Discovery 2s in 1995 and didn't tell me.

Have you called DAP, they should be near you.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,509 Likes on 1,236 Posts

It was a factory test mule obviously.

Unfortunately it seems the 03/04 4.6 had the worst of the issues. It all depends on how dedicated you are to Rovers. If it's a good clean truck than I would replace the motor with a 4.0 or another 4.6. From what I've seen you won't get much money at all for a 04 with a blown motor.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:25 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
I am amazingly jealous that a fellow vermonter had access to Discovery 2s in 1995 and didn't tell me.

Have you called DAP, they should be near you.
Actually, I did call DAP, shortly after the misfire reoccured. By the time I got the LR down to them in Springfield it was running fine again. Now that the problem has come back consistently, I am in Dallas. Wish I was back in VT. They got about one to two inches of ice here Thursday and the temperature has been well below freezing ever since. They have no equipment or experience to handle such an incident. Consequently, they do nothing, and the roads are still ice covered.

Rod

Old 12-08-2013, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

these maintenance/help forums always seem depressing. It seems to me, that The bulk of people on here, came searching for answers to problems. I do not recall reading any posts from you, about the flawless performance of your discos, or anyone else's. most feel no problems = no need to carry on about it. I don't gripe and complain about my starbucks barista being extraordinarily fast and precise with my morning order, but I will complain if my veggie bfast sandwich is nothing more than a sausage and egg with the sausage now in the trash.............that gets me every time. The talk of the bad will always be the majority in an outlet of such. That makes it a great source for answers. Just the way people are.
just realized that was quite the rant....sorry. hang in there. fix it, it'll be fine.

Last edited by dusty1; 12-08-2013 at 08:38 PM. Reason: rant
Old 12-08-2013, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Dusty, you're one post away from 1000!

This Is A  Most Depressing Forum-999-posts.jpg

Old 12-08-2013, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

well, then. thanks for the heads up, Jafir.
ACCOMPLISHMENT

Old 12-08-2013, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,509 Likes on 1,236 Posts

post *****

Old 12-08-2013, 09:35 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by dusty1
these maintenance/help forums always seem depressing. It seems to me, that The bulk of people on here, came searching for answers to problems. I do not recall reading any posts from you, about the flawless performance of your discos, or anyone else's. most feel no problems = no need to carry on about it. I don't gripe and complain about my starbucks barista being extraordinarily fast and precise with my morning order, but I will complain if my veggie bfast sandwich is nothing more than a sausage and egg with the sausage now in the trash.............that gets me every time. The talk of the bad will always be the majority in an outlet of such. That makes it a great source for answers. Just the way people are.
just realized that was quite the rant....sorry. hang in there. fix it, it'll be fine.
My apologies. I did not mean to disparage this forum in general by the use of the word "depressing". I was only referring to the depressing revalations regarding the Discovery II engines. I subscribe to both Jaguar and MG forums, and they are much the same as this fine forum, discussing/requesting assistance in repairs, "how to", sharing experiences, both technical and driving/enjoying the cars, tips, etc. But now that you bring up the point, in the Jaguar forum, for example, there is considerable discussion regarding not just the problems, but the excellence of the XK engine, in terms of cutting edge design (for its time), stellar engineering, performance, even reliability, and the fact that it is a work of art. I doubt that those superlatives are used to describe the Discovery II engines, but the problems are discussed in this forum, as they should be. I apologize for the poor syntax in referring to the forum as depressing when I meant the engine revelations.

Rod

Old 12-09-2013, 06:15 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Obviously Technical Forums may seem depressing as many don't look at them UNLESS they have a problem. If one looks at the other sections of the forum they are upbeat and interesting in where guys go and what they do in their trucks. Many find that the slightest vehicle problem causes their world to collapse rather than just a simple logical answer to their issue. I would say the technical sections are interesting and very helpful and not at all depressing with others views, ideas and perspectives. Of course one can go and get their truck towed to a main 'stealership' and cough up thousands of bucks and the service guy/mechanics will enumerate all the other issues that you need to address 'immediately', following which you will turn suicidal if you're that way inclined. These forums are an educational platform to those who are interested in their vehicles and want them often for leisure as well as transport. Maybe I see things differently from others, but I don't think so, and I'm an eternal pessimist.

Quick Reply: This Is A Most Depressing Forum