Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

motor mounts, oil leak, and check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 11:33 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor mounts, oil leak, and check engine light

hello.!!!! i got a 95 disco.automatic transmission. whenever i put it in gear, i hear a loud clunk. its louder in reverse than in drive. i had this happen to my nissan altima and it was caused by the motor mounts. i havent actually looked under the car to see for myself but im wondering, do u think the motor mounts is the problem?

also. i recently took it to the dealer because the gas tank was recalled. they dealer replaced it and they said that there is more gas in the tank than is being indicated on the fuel gauge. anybody know what i can do or replace to get it workin right? they also said i had lots of oil leaks. i havent seen anything leak from under the car but i havent acutally looked underneath the car. do the discos like to leak anywhere in particular?

one last thing..... my check engine light is on. is there anyway i can retreive the codes without buyin an expensive electronic scan tool or a diagnostic computer??? i retreived the error codes in my rx-7 like this .. http://www.rotorwiki.com/index.php/89-91_Error_Codes thank you!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-11-2008, 08:57 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: motor mounts, oil leak, and check engine light

Could be bad u-joints, how often do you lube them
If you want to correct the fuel level, you pretty much have to replace the pump, I would just live with it.
As for your engine light, which is on, the check engine light or the maintance light?

Old 11-11-2008, 11:42 AM
Drifting

what are u-joints and where are they? what do i use to lube em? ill have to double check on da light.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:07 PM
Mudding

I think its about time to look under yourtruck

Old 11-11-2008, 12:09 PM
Mudding

as for the leaks check out spikes signature

Old 11-11-2008, 04:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what you need to do is spend about an hour under your truck familiarizing yourself with whats what and where everything is located... you will have oil leaks pretty much no matter what you do, all this means is that as long as you stay on top of it and check it regularly you will always have fresh oil... if you "check engine" light is on do just that, check all your fluid levels and make sure they are good, then go to autozone and have them pull the codes for you so you can post them on here... if your "service engine" light is on that may be a whole new monster...
________
Bondage live

Last edited by discoxd; 08-15-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:35 PM
Mudding

its a 95 so Autozone won't be able to pull codes (obd1)..

If you have a CEL (Check Engine Light)... Look for a box that is under that Passenger side seat that says Land Rover On Board Diagnostics (or something like that). See if there are any numbers on the LED's.

matt rickman

Old 11-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Mudding

some more info can be found here for D1 (pre 96) codes..

http://www.robisonservice.com/servic...ouble.asp#1990

matt rickman

Old 12-23-2008, 12:07 PM
Drifting

"service engine soon" is the light thats on. i read the link that mattrickman provided and found out that this light is related to emissions. is there any body in the los angeles that can pull the codes for me?? i done have $85 to pay a mechanic. i could give you like $20 or something.

when i put the car in drive or reverse not only do i hear that loud clunk but the car shakes. i took a look at the motor mounts and they are craking. ima lube the u joints first and see if the problem goes away. i think theres something wrong inside the transmission though. when ideling i hear a clanking noise. i thought it was just something loose underneath the truck. when i actually looked under the truck i couldent see anything makeing the noise but the noise sounded like it was coming form the bell housing.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:59 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

ORIGINAL: btbaus

what are u-joints and where are they? what do i use to lube em? ill have to double check on da light.
Don't take this totally wrong, but per this post, you should even consider trying to work on it, time to fine a small shop that can inspect the truck, give you an estimate per item and then get back to us so we can then make sure you don't get taken for the ride of your life.

Quick Reply: motor mounts, oil leak, and check engine light