Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

motor swap?...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 04:57 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor swap?...

im looking into the blueprints 262 cid create or even the 355ci from jeggs for my 04 disco 2 i was wondering what your thoughts on the swap and if anyone knows were to get either mounts or adaptors for the mounts any and all info regarding this would be awesome

Old 03-11-2010, 05:49 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Why? you have a 280 in there already? The driveline will not support much more...If you drop a 350, plan on doing the axles as well..

Old 03-11-2010, 09:26 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by heartofrome@googlemail.com
im looking into the blueprints 262 cid create or even the 355ci from jeggs for my 04 disco 2 i was wondering what your thoughts on the swap and if anyone knows were to get either mounts or adaptors for the mounts any and all info regarding this would be awesome

Chevy 5.3 Vortec + 200R4 + NP242 (If available) + D60 rear = way better rig

I was thinking long and hard today about what to do with my truck to make some power. That's what I came up with.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:35 PM
Mudding

DURAMAX, NV5600, NV241HD, twin Rockwell turners.....

Old 03-11-2010, 09:44 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by greenwade
DURAMAX, NV5600, NV241HD, twin Rockwell turners.....

Change that to an allison 1000 and I'm all over it!

Oh yeah, I had another idea for a 'stock' replacement... try a buick 340. They were only produced for 1 year and therefore somewhat rare, but are supposedly the same external dimensions as the 4.0 in the discovery so they should bolt right in after a rebuild. Added plus, made of iron so you can beat the **** out of it better.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:20 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You can not drop any engine into a D2 unless you plan on a new tranny because of the ECU's, t/case and diffs, so be happy with what you have and or beef up the 4.6 a little.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:06 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
You can not drop any engine into a D2 unless you plan on a new tranny because of the ECU's, t/case and diffs, so be happy with what you have and or beef up the 4.6 a little.
I am sure that as a mechanic you were trained to believe that there is only one right way to achieve a result, but people have done all kinds of swaps in to all kinds of vehicles for a very long time. True, the stock trans would probably not hold up to an engine with any respectable amount of power, but why would anyone waste the money trying to adapt an engine to the factory tranny anyway, or try to work with the existing electronics? For that matter, why would anyone want to try to use the offset rear axle? I'm sure I could sell a complete running engine, useable transmission, the related EFI electronics, and the rear axle, and almost be able to cover the cost of a mainstream engine, transmission, transfer case, and rear axle.

You seem to be very knowledgeable in the realm of factory, stock equipment, but I've noticed you are also dismissive if not outright hostile towards modifications of any sort. I don't see why. I thought the purpose of a forum was to help eachother work through problems, or speculate on ways to modify vehicles for performance...

Old 05-20-2010, 07:24 AM
3rd Gear

What I am looking into is a vortec 350 4L60E and a FJ80 land cruiser trasnfercase. Haven't looked into length but the cruiser case is offset the same and has electric diff lock. There are lots of drive line shops and I can make engine mounts. Vortec wiring harness can be cut down to a few wires to run it. That's the best bet I have come up with

Old 05-20-2010, 09:56 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TBIAgent69
I am sure that as a mechanic you were trained to believe that there is only one right way to achieve a result, but people have done all kinds of swaps in to all kinds of vehicles for a very long time. True, the stock trans would probably not hold up to an engine with any respectable amount of power, but why would anyone waste the money trying to adapt an engine to the factory tranny anyway, or try to work with the existing electronics? For that matter, why would anyone want to try to use the offset rear axle? I'm sure I could sell a complete running engine, useable transmission, the related EFI electronics, and the rear axle, and almost be able to cover the cost of a mainstream engine, transmission, transfer case, and rear axle.

You seem to be very knowledgeable in the realm of factory, stock equipment, but I've noticed you are also dismissive if not outright hostile towards modifications of any sort. I don't see why. I thought the purpose of a forum was to help eachother work through problems, or speculate on ways to modify vehicles for performance...
This is true, I was told by some to not even consider converting a secondary air engine to non SAI when I did my swap, which is extremely easy.

Good luck with finding an answer to your question and be sure to post the solution you find. There's a lot of us who recognize that the engine is a disaster waiting to happen, but love the truck and would be willing to swap the whole drivetrain if it could be done well.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:52 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It has been done, there is a forum member on here who has done the swap to a 350 chevy i believe... its sick too. He had to get a tranny converter and all that fun stuff, but overall, it came out ridiculous!

Just search the forum for a disco conversion and you will find it, its red.. If i find it first, i will come and post the link here!

Best of luck,

Quick Reply: motor swap?...