Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

moving on up

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 07:03 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default moving on up

Hi guys
Mistakenly I put my question in the range rover section,guess this is what rovers do to your head.Anyway I am planning on buying a2003 Disco HSE with 38000 miles on it.Having a wonderful experience with my 98 Disco ,can I expect the same of this puppie?Hope you can help out as always.Special hello to Disco Mike,thanks for all your help and knowledge.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:42 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: moving on up

I have a 2003 SE (No air suspension), and it is fabulous. It drives great. It was raining cats and dogs today, and roads were soaked and I couldn't tell, because I was in a Disco II. Off road, I don't know yet, but on some trails in the woods it has done well. A lot of folks have ripped that air suspension out and put in a coil system because the sensors for that air suspension get destroyed, bladders burst and/or leak, etc etc. Just keep it in mind.

Good Luck!Feel free to ask any questions.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:56 PM
TReK

Keep the 98 if you off road.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:58 PM
Mudding

I concur with LandZu, the '03s do not have an option for CDL, plus it will prolly cost you 12-13 grand and you will not want to scuff something like that up. If you don't mind, what are they asking? I paid 12000,60k miles.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:56 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Only one thing to look out for on the 03's. First year for the 4.6 and known in early models to loose oil pumps. I hear the performance gains are noticable in the 4.6, plus you get all the bells and whistles of a D2. But along with that, you get the 3 amigos and lose the locking transfer case. I foyu do any wheeling, go for an 04. They have the locking diff again, and in a lot of people's opinion are the best ever made. Oh, and on the above comment about air suspension- I hear the ride is a lot better than the coils, but a little expensive to maintain.

Old 09-28-2007, 05:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my 03 and I use it as a daily driver with some light to moderate off-roading in sand with a little snow driving in the winter. If I did really heavy off-roading I would probably want one with CDL capability just in case, but I can't imagine needing it for the way I use my Rover because its 4wheel drive system is amazing as is. I pretty much agree with what the others have said already, and I guess it all depends on how you intend to use your Rover as to which model you should be looking for.

Old 09-28-2007, 06:48 AM
TReK

It does come down to how you use it and what your like.

I have driven a NAS Defender 110 and a D-90 off roadand they
had what I needed and what I want in a 4x4, but I don't
need to have it as a daily driver.
The newer Disco's are nice for that.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:00 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I hate misleading post like this about SLS.

"I have a 2003 SE (No air suspension), and it is fabulous. It drives great. It was raining cats and dogs today, and roads were soaked and I couldn't tell, because I was in a Disco II. Off road, I don't know yet, but on some trails in the woods it has done well. A lot of folks have ripped that air suspension out and put in a coil system because the sensors for that air suspension get destroyed, bladders burst and/or leak, etc etc. Just keep it in mind."

The SLS system is good, if the bags start leaking, which they will, yes you have to change them, but you also have to change out the coil springs as they start sagging. If anyone with an SLS issue uses common since they are easy to maintain, and I have to tell you with nearly 100,000 miles on mine I have had to put on new air bags, but the truck rides better on and off the road.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:33 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree w/ Mike, SLS is great. It's the only option my rover doesn't have, and I've even considered putting it in.My friend has it andI'm a bit jealous. It's one trade-off I made, but myDisco is a beauty and got it at a great price so I couldn't pass it up.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:37 AM
Mudding

Roger, my statement didn't come out as objective as it should have.TheSLS is animportant maintenance check and repair cost to consider, but it isn't a deal breaker.

Quick Reply: moving on up