Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To much Seafoam?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 03:06 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lipadj46
The only harm you can really do is add too much too fast and hydro-lock your engine.
I think if you add too much too fast you can burn a valve. I just go really slow and barely put the hose in the seaform..then pull it back out..over and over. It takes a while.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:31 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone please explain to the newb about induction cleaning and how to do it? I have some Seafoam and want to do this properly, but do not understand what in the world you guys are talking about! Thanks.

Last edited by smoverstreet; 12-04-2009 at 04:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-04-2009, 04:50 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Look on the passenger side of your throttle body, under the PCV and brake booster line is a vacuum line nipple with a little rubber plug on it. Now hook a hose up to that nipple and with your truck idling slowly suck in the Seafoam. It is a vacuum so it will want to suck it down fast. Pinch off the hose or just stick it in for the liquid a moment. A whole can should take about 30 minutes. Then shut off your truck and let it sit for at least 30 minutes. Then drive it like it is stolen. Warning it will smoke like nothing you have seen before (like a military smoke screen) and you will get crazy codes (they will go away eventually).

Forgot to add don't bother with a can in the gas tank, use 2 bottles of techron instead (same price as 1 can of seafoam). And also save the induction cleaning for right before an oil change.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

another point to add is that when using the fuel injector cleaner in the tank it will do a better job if many short trips are taken instead of longer ones.........
WHY??
the shutting off of the engine then lets the chemicals soak into the deposits and then starting and running for a few miles then shutting the engine off again repeats the cycle. So after this an oil change should be considered.

Also to note that running the Seafoam throught the intake and then seeing all of the smoke is also going to eventually damage the cats, the smoke your seeing are the impurities being carbonised onto the catalytic cells structure, this will form a glaze coating on the cats and reduce the effectiveness over time.

The ideal way to ingest the Seafoam would be to disconnect the header pipes and run the engine while the Seafoam is ingested,
this will also prevent the O2 sensors from getting the same coating

Old 12-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

FYI, I watched Adv Auto creep the price of Seafoam up from around $6.50 a year or so ago to $9.99 I saw ysterday. Wal-mart is a little cheaper, but I found it for $6.99 at my local Northern Tool & Equipment location last weekend.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:02 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

OK I'm feeling argumentative...

Originally Posted by Mrmerlin
another point to add is that when using the fuel injector cleaner in the tank it will do a better job if many short trips are taken instead of longer ones.........
WHY??
the shutting off of the engine then lets the chemicals soak into the deposits and then starting and running for a few miles then shutting the engine off again repeats the cycle. So after this an oil change should be considered.
The way I figure (and I'm not the only one) is that we have FI engine and the best way to clean them (with a PEA based cleaner like Techron). Is to go through a full tank on a long trip. Many people do their FI cleaning during their vacation drive. If you want to do a valve soak just remove each plug and pour in some seafoam and let sit overnight.

Also to note that running the Seafoam throught the intake and then seeing all of the smoke is also going to eventually damage the cats, the smoke your seeing are the impurities being carbonised onto the catalytic cells structure, this will form a glaze coating on the cats and reduce the effectiveness over time.
I hear people say things like that all the time but I have yet to see proof of a Cat or O2 sensor failure due to Seafoam and it has been around for a long time. Dealerships all do induction type cleanings using whatever proprietary product they use and when done properly and not overdone it is a safe and useful maintenance item. Anyhow carbon burns and Cats are hot I'm betting if anything does gets to the Cats or O2 sensors before burning it will soon become ash and blow on through. What does foul cats are metals such as Zn, P, Ca etc. so burning oil can be a big issue. Cats though are designed to last a very long time and engine oil and gas has all been formulated to make them last. I much more worry about my engine and body going before my cats.

The ideal way to ingest the Seafoam would be to disconnect the header pipes and run the engine while the Seafoam is ingested,
this will also prevent the O2 sensors from getting the same coating
That would make the neighbors even happier then a regular induction cleaning.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:44 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey lipadj. I have never heard of the "valve soak" but it sounds like a good idea as I suspect the PO of very poor upkeep now. Maybe even crap gas? It was his wife's daily driver and she seemed the type that was more worried about fingernails than fuel.

If I do the valve soak, how much Seafoam, when and how long? Do I put the plugs back in right after the Seaform or???

Thanks.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:22 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bump. Wondering about this "valve soak" thing.