Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mud Terrains: how bad are they on-road?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 03:10 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mud Terrains: how bad are they on-road?

I'm thinking of going all out on the new tires and getting the Firestone Destination M/T. I don't take long trips in the Rover and my commute is short. Mud is the nemesis here in the south, and our rocky areas aren't normally sharp granite like the west. Seems to me that an M/T would offer improved off-road capability in nearly all situations I'll encounter.

I can get a friends and family discount with Firestone. My buddy at Firestone is worried that I'll hate driving on-road with the M/Ts. Reviews say they're not THAT bad on-road.

For those of you driving M/Ts, how bad are they?

Last edited by oysterhead; 10-23-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:30 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They're fine, but they're no pirellis. They grip real good in the rain. and obviously a little louder than street tires.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the generic firestone m/t on my D1. There great off road but on road there a little noisy on road. There also not that great on wet roads IMO. They also suck in the snow.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:17 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I only run BFG MT's, get around 50,000 miles a set from them and wouldn't run anything else.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:47 AM
Three Wheeling

the firestone MTs are more of an MT by name alone. they are mild, and just a little noisy on the road, but they dont clean the mud very well. mike is running BFGs the good old standard on/off road tire with a hard compound that gets you where you want to go and a lot of miles, but the sidewalls are soft and many are ripped open on rocks, depending on how agreesive you are. the new BFG km2s i ran on the rubicon and are very good for on/off road conditions. and better than there old cousins BFG MTs in cleaning out mud. and gripping rocks. but they are still a bit hard. if you want a REAL mud tire, look at truxxus MT, SSR MT and Irok radials all from Superswamper, those tires are superb for off road conditions, BUT only ok on the road. IMHO>

Old 10-24-2009, 10:15 AM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're worried about road noise then I'd stay away from the BFG MTR. That's what came on my friends Jeep. They were amazingly quite for the first 10k miles after that they sounded like a monster truck coming down the road.

*side note, he did off-road the jeep a lot so there was premature wear.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:46 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
If you're worried about road noise then I'd stay away from the BFG MTR. That's what came on my friends Jeep. They were amazingly quite for the first 10k miles after that they sounded like a monster truck coming down the road.

*side note, he did off-road the jeep a lot so there was premature wear.

I will second Nitetrain with the loudness picking up after the tires are worn in a bit, ran BFGMT's on my D90 and were a bit loud but everything is loud in a D90 IMO. I still have BFGMT's on my Excusion and great tire but now they are pretty loud, great tire, can't wear them out fast enough to get AT's.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:55 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by jayv
the firestone MTs are more of an MT by name alone. they are mild, and just a little noisy on the road, but they dont clean the mud very well. mike is running BFGs the good old standard on/off road tire with a hard compound that gets you where you want to go and a lot of miles, but the sidewalls are soft and many are ripped open on rocks, depending on how agreesive you are. the new BFG km2s i ran on the rubicon and are very good for on/off road conditions. and better than there old cousins BFG MTs in cleaning out mud. and gripping rocks. but they are still a bit hard. if you want a REAL mud tire, look at truxxus MT, SSR MT and Irok radials all from Superswamper, those tires are superb for off road conditions, BUT only ok on the road. IMHO>

The destinations clean mud just as good as a swamper. I'm assuming you have never been in mud with the destinations and a real swamper such as a TSL or bogger. The Trxxs is a joke of a "swamper" tire, Interco made the Trxxs for street queens that want a cool looking tire, not really for performance. The SSR is a TSL made for people who drive mostly on the road. Why would anyone by Iroks unless they are strictly climbing rocks? That's like telling him to buy a Bogger... Which is only for mud and nothing else.

I have no idea why people keep bringing up the BFG M/T KM. They don't even MAKE that tire anymore. It was a poor M/T to begin with... On the other hand, a KM2 is a Very all-around mud terrain that performs very well. But it is better in rocks than mud.

I love when people give advice with no personal experience, just by what people tell them...

Last edited by Jupiter Rover; 10-24-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:04 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by oysterhead
I'm thinking of going all out on the new tires and getting the Firestone Destination M/T. I don't take long trips in the Rover and my commute is short. Mud is the nemesis here in the south, and our rocky areas aren't normally sharp granite like the west. Seems to me that an M/T would offer improved off-road capability in nearly all situations I'll encounter.

I can get a friends and family discount with Firestone. My buddy at Firestone is worried that I'll hate driving on-road with the M/Ts. Reviews say they're not THAT bad on-road.

For those of you driving M/Ts, how bad are they?
Keep in mind Swamper's will last around 20K-30K miles IF that.. The KM2 and Destination will last around 40K-50K miles. The KM2s are real expensive, so if you can get a discount for the destinations then get the Firestone tires.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:41 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Jupiter Rover
The destinations clean mud just as good as a swamper. I'm assuming you have never been in mud with the destinations and a real swamper such as a TSL or bogger. The Trxxs is a joke of a "swamper" tire, Interco made the Trxxs for street queens that want a cool looking tire, not really for performance. The SSR is a TSL made for people who drive mostly on the road. Why would anyone by Iroks unless they are strictly climbing rocks? That's like telling him to buy a Bogger... Which is only for mud and nothing else.

I have no idea why people keep bringing up the BFG M/T KM. They don't even MAKE that tire anymore. It was a poor M/T to begin with... On the other hand, a KM2 is a Very all-around mud terrain that performs very well. But it is better in rocks than mud.

I love when people give advice with no personal experience, just by what people tell them...
interesting point of view, by the way all tires i mentioned i have run in the past or have run on some elses vehicle.

your an idiot

Quick Reply: Mud Terrains: how bad are they on-road?