Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mushy brake pedal...

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 02:38 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mushy brake pedal...

Hello!

I'm having issue with my DII's brakes, I have a mushy pedal. I have replaces ALL the brake...pads and rotors. My issues, before and now, is that I can not get a firm pedal. I have bled all the wheels good and put in fresh fluid since what was in there was old.

I was reading somewhere that on the Discoverys, you need to bleed it with it on a computer so that ALL the ABS pump can be operated to help get all the air out of the system.

Is there an easy way around this or is this true?

ALso, my the amigos lights are on....I have to have the codes read, but I am thinking it's because the brakes that were on there were bad....warped rotors, one rear wheel had the pad off the backing and the other wheel was just about down metal to metal. I also noticed that one of the front sensors (my own fault) didn't have an "O" ring but that was because I didn't notice it when I replaced the hub and sensor last spring.

Is this true about bleeding the brakes with a computer?

Thanks again,
Steve

Old 11-12-2011, 03:29 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The computer method operates the ABS pump to push all of the fluid through it and out ot each wheel.
There is a way to "trick" the ABS pump so you can do that yourself.
But unless your brake fluid level was so low that there was no fluid in the res than that it not your problem.
Check for a vacuum leak in the brake booster hose.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

It is true that you can bleed them with a computer, but the service manual also shows how to do it the conventional way.

How many miles? You may want to replace your rubber brake lines.

Almost the entire brake system was redesigned for the 03-04 Discovery to improve brake feel and function. The front calipers, master cylinder, and booster are all different from the 99-02.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:36 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

So, how many miles on the truck, how much fluid did you use to bleed the brakes, should be just nearly 2 quarts of DOT 4 and as already mentioned, if your mileage is over 100,000 miles, replacing the rubber hoses will help a lot.
Past that, your 03 has an up-dated improved master cylinder and calipers, it will stop better then the older G2's.
By the way, whos brake pads did you install, by brand name?

Old 11-12-2011, 07:51 PM
Mudding

miles - 130k. When I replaced the front caliper last year, all the fluid leaked out because the line fell while I was gone...my own fault. I went through an entire quart for just the front alone and close to that for the rear. I could only get DOT 3 & 4. I do plan to purchase braided hoses this week.

As for what pads I used, I don't recall the brand name. They are great though....even with a mushy pedal they are stopping the truck SO MUCH BETTER. I coudln't get anything expensive for brakes at the moment, but I did put ceramic pads on.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:56 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Spike555
The computer method operates the ABS pump to push all of the fluid through it and out ot each wheel.
There is a way to "trick" the ABS pump so you can do that yourself.
But unless your brake fluid level was so low that there was no fluid in the res than that it not your problem.
Check for a vacuum leak in the brake booster hose.
how do I do this???

Old 11-12-2011, 08:12 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Google it, I dont know how, but there is a trick out there that you can do at home, it might even be in the RAVE manual but I dont know for sure.
I just know it can be done.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:15 PM
Mudding

THanks!

Old 11-13-2011, 08:03 AM
2nd Gear

I've been having the same problems. Mushy brakes (I was told by the dealer that all D2's are this way), 3 Amigo's on ect. A few days ago I did the ABS mod fix but the lights are still on. I'm beginning to think it's a wheel sensor problem.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:45 PM
Mudding

you should probably have your codes read and cleared...I could be wrong, happened once before a long long time ago, but if I recall, they will not clear themselves like the CEL....

Quick Reply: Mushy brake pedal...