Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This must be a common problem! DII won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 02:06 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy This must be a common problem! DII won't start!

I have a 2003 DII w/ 137,000 miles. Recently it started not cranking up! The engine turns over but won't catch to start. Tried several times. This happened a few times in the last 2 weeks. Eventually it was cranking up but this time, it doesn't want to!

I had previously 2 codes (p1414 and p1415) and I believe they have nothing to do with this issue. I just did not want to spend $450 on the Secondary Air Pump. Other than those 2 codes, there is no other code in the ECU.

I took it to my mechanic (when it cranked up!) and they couldn't figure out what was wrong because it cranked every time they tried. They checked the alternator and it was good.

What can it be? Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Bob

Old 05-26-2011, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Basic troubleshooting for a car that cranks, but will not start is to determine what is missing. You need spark, fuel, air, and compression. (and appropriate timing of all of these things). Normally on a D2 (and most other cars), unless something BIG is broken, you'll be missing spark or fuel.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:05 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
Basic troubleshooting for a car that cranks, but will not start is to determine what is missing. You need spark, fuel, air, and compression. (and appropriate timing of all of these things). Normally on a D2 (and most other cars), unless something BIG is broken, you'll be missing spark or fuel.
OR cps, OR xyz, OR tcase neutral switch.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:10 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the replies.

The spark plugs are new... So is there a way to isolate the problem without taking it to a mechanic (since there is no fault codes)? Or are they fairly simple to change? According to what I can read, it can be the fuel pump or crankshaft position sensor (or cps or xyz, etc. - I don't even know what they are;-))))

Old 05-26-2011, 03:47 PM

sparkplugs are simple to change. its the wires that are a PITA. when you turn the key have someone else lay under the rear of the truck, you should hear the fuel pump come on. is there a clicking at the starter or does the truck actually try and turn over but cant?

Old 05-26-2011, 04:02 PM
Drifting

Thanks Ed.

The engine actually turns; tries and tries and tries to crank but doesn't catch. Not sure if that helps.

Otherwise, the sparkplugs are Bosch +4s, changed 6 months ago. Wires are fairly new too...

Old 05-26-2011, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
OR cps, OR xyz, OR tcase neutral switch.
Without a good crank sensor, you'll get no spark.

Without the xy or the neatral switch, you'll get no cranking... he said it cranks but won't start.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:59 PM

peel the heat shield back off the starter and ping it with a hammer a few times why someone else tries turning the key. The solenoid on the starter seizes up over time. could be time for a new starter.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:40 PM
Drifting

If the engine cranks the electric starter motor is functioning properly.

If the mechanic could not duplicate or isolate the problem the issue likely in the ignition system. Quite likely a crankshaft position sensor.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:01 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pull a plug. Leave it connected to the wire. Touch the threaded part to the block or some other good ground. Have someone crank the motor.

If it doesn't spark, change the crank shaft position sensor.

Is that a complete diagnosis? No. But seriously people, don't complicate this. This is the time of year when ckpses fail. It's getting hot, and marginal ones are dying. It's cheap, and even if it's not bad its going to be soon enough.

If you have spark, you need to do as Ed says and get under the truck by the fuel tank while someone turns the key to the on position. Listen for the fuel pump running for a bit. If it does, it's time to check fuel rail pressure, etc, etc..... Cross that bridge after you check if you have spark or not.

Quick Reply: This must be a common problem! DII won't start!