Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My cheap and cheerful subwoofer fix

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 09:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 354 Likes on 228 Posts
Default My cheap and cheerful subwoofer fix

Short Version: I’m not an audiophile so I dropped in a pair of cheap Pioneer TS-165P’s in to a destroyed subwoofer. It was super easy and works well.

Longer Version
When I acquired my 99D2 the HK audio system didn’t work at all, turned out the main problem was a broken head unit. Easy fix with a new one and I got some sound but it was pretty crappy. I wasn’t getting any sound from the subwoofer so I opened it up!

In addition to the shredded cones I also discovered that it was unplugged, probably because it sounded horrible. At any rate I was able to acquire a set of Pioneer TS-165P’s for super cheap off Facebook marketplace and thought “what the heck, let’s try it!”

Turns out they drop right in (minus the plastic retaining rings). The holes don’t perfectly align but it’s close enough where if you seat the screws first before tightening them it secures in nice and firm.

Yes, I know that they aren’t one way woofers (insofar as a 6.5” speaker can be a woofer anyway) but I’m not looking for a loud thumping system, just some tunes to listen to on the way to the campsite.

Along the way I also painted my super janky screen so it looks less janky, I still have to find some of the missing screws (thanks PO) but it holds. I chose the color/texture of “oil rubbed bronze” based off of what I had that would look the best, turned out pretty good.

After the easy install I fired it up and it everything sounds SO MUCH better! I even had to turn the base setting down a little so my poor old trim casings wouldn’t rattle.

I recommend it for a “cheap and cheerful” replacement.

Last edited by greisinb; 09-16-2019 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Title didn’t make sense.
The following users liked this post:
OkraKing (01-05-2021)